new tank, seeded sponge and media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started a new 10 gallon. Sand substrate, there is about 10 plants added. It has a sponge filter in it that I set up in my 20 gallon to get bacteria to grow on it for about a month. I also have 2 small bags of ceramic media that I put into my hangon back filters for about 6 months from same 20 resting on the sponges in new tank. One Betta and some snails, after a week, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrates 5ppm. How long should I leave the ceramic media resting on the sponge before I remove them.

Hello kb...

The sponge is enough to filter and aerate the tank water You really don't need anything else. Just remove and replace half the tank water a couple of times a week and you're good.

B

Hello kb...

The sponge is enough to filter and aerate the tank water You really don't need anything else. Just remove and replace half the tank water a couple of times a week and you're good.

B
Ok, so your thoughts on replacing the water too often in a planted tank that is low tech. I have read that you shouldn't do it too often because you would be lowering the CO2 levels too much. Any truth to this or just an opinionated old wives tale?

kb...

Water changes are the most important part of the fish keeping hobby. In a low tech tank, the fish provide all the nutrients the plants need. By removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, you're keeping the fish healthy and they're keeping the plants healthy. Large, regular water changes also maintain healthy mineral levels in the water. The fish and plants need the minerals for good health. There's plenty of carbon dioxide in surrounding air to sustain the plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom