New Tank Set Up - Not Doing Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnerner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am new to bigger tanks and we are having some issues. Here is the background.

We have a 29 gallon tank, set it up and let it sit about 6 days before we put fish in. The water stays between 72-76 degrees F

We purchased two Blue Gouramis, a black Molly and a White Molly and a Sail fin Catfish (I believe this was the species). We also have two moss balls

We have already lost our Catfish and the Black Molly, however, after checking twice with a pet store, our water is perfect.

Now one of our Blue Gouramis is showing signs of sickness, his fins turning red.

We purchased some Malafix yesterday and have done two treatments, but the Gourami does not seem to be moving to much more than he was, however, the redness has diminished slightly.

Anyone have any suggestions for us? Although some people say they are just fish, it's hard to keep loosing them.

Abby :ermm:

first of all you havent cycled so you need to do tht just look up fish in cycle on google. your gourami has ammonia burns bc you dont have bacteria yet you need to buy the api master kit and test it if it's anything over .25 you need to do a water change 50% take away half so if you have 4ppm then it'll go down to 2. any other questions just pm me.

Will the rest of my fish most likely die because the cycle hasn't been done? Can i do a cycle with them in it?

It can be done if you do water changes and get a test kit like stated above. If you could return them that would be even better cause you can cycle easier without fish in.

im currently cycling with fish and i just do 2 or more 50 % water changes a day and dot feed that much

You can also use Prime to help your fish deal with ammonia and nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom