New tank setup, need answers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thinking about setting up a 90 gallon discus tank. Need help from whoever knows about how to set it up right from the start! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Is this your first fish tank? Discus can be very sensitive and aren't normally put in beginner tanks so that's why I askv

Discus are slightly more resilient than given credit for but unless you're financially loaded still too big a risk for a first tank.

I have discus. They're not like super duper difficult but the require slightly more attention and care. Like with feeding. And water quality. And tank mates due to the temperature the tank needs to be at and the fact that they need to be calm peaceful fish.

This isn't my first tank. Ive had 7 different tanks and have been doing this for 5 years lol. Just never a discus tank. That's why I want all the info.

I do plan on using RO water but not right off the bat. And my tap water comes out at about an 8.0

Well my tap is like 7.4
8.0 is high for them but if acclimated correctly, it can work.
Are you going to have plants?
Do you know what you'll be feeding them?

No idea haha. That's why I'm asking for all this help. If I understood correctly on what I read, live plants require a co2 system right?

Maybe you need to find a forum that specializes in Discus, so you'll be able to get some really knowledgeable help in that area.

Back
Top Bottom