New Tank Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James1151

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on my new fluval 120 set up.

I have had an edge 46 litre for about 4 years now and to be totally honest, I haven't spent enough time on the hobby. I had some bad advice from the pet shop and as such have a unbalanced set up of 2 Checkered barbs, 2 Gold barbs, a small Pleco of some kind and 4 Dwarf loaches. That being said, everyone seems to get along fine.

I have read you can keep Barbs with the fish below as long as they are in a larger group, and I have also read to keep them as a species only tank due to the fin nipping?

I'm thinking the below set up:

3 x Dwarf Cobalt blue Gouramis
2x Angel Fish
6x Gold Barb
6 x Checkered Barb
10x Neon Tetras or glowlight tetras
6x dwarf chain loach

My current pleco with perhaps another tank mate

Thank's! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fluval 120 is 120L or ~30G correct?
Plecos - unless they are BristleNose - are a definite NO as they will quickly outgrow the tank, my 4" *baby* is now 15"

Angels too will outgrow your tank - If they are not crowded growth is
Dime size - 1 month
Nickle size - 2 months
Quarter size - three months
Half dollar to silver dollar size 5 - 6 months and up to 3-4" at 1 year.
Haven't kept Dwarf Gourami so can't speak to them.
Not a Barb fan so can't speak to them either.
Www.aqadvisor.com will be useful in planning just how full you can stock your tank but even it is not full proof so use it as a tool to help decide then come back here for more *hands on* advice.
I'd definitely return the pleco, forget about Angels Gouramis & Tetras and up your barbs & loaches into schools of 6+. Maybe add another variety of Barb if you have room

Hi,

Yes that's right, 120litre/30gallon.

I have had the pleco for 4 years now and he is about the size of a £5 note fully grown, so I guess he is a Bristlenose?

I really don't want to get rid of my tiger barbs, but I do want to change the stock for my new tank. Maybe it's worth a try to try them all together.

Thank's for the link!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fluval 120 is 120L or ~30G correct?
Plecos - unless they are BristleNose - are a definite NO as they will quickly outgrow the tank, my 4" *baby* is now 15"

Angels too will outgrow your tank - If they are not crowded growth is
Dime size - 1 month
Nickle size - 2 months
Quarter size - three months
Half dollar to silver dollar size 5 - 6 months and up to 3-4" at 1 year.
Haven't kept Dwarf Gourami so can't speak to them.
Not a Barb fan so can't speak to them either.
Www.aqadvisor.com will be useful in planning just how full you can stock your tank but even it is not full proof so use it as a tool to help decide then come back here for more *hands on* advice.
I'd definitely return the pleco, forget about Angels Gouramis & Tetras and up your barbs & loaches into schools of 6+. Maybe add another variety of Barb if you have room

Yup that sounds like a BristleNose.
A few schools of each Barb might be the way to go as long as they get along

Back
Top Bottom