new tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harriet

Aquarium Advice Regular
i’m getting a new tank tomorrow, It’s 44 gallons and is a tall tank as i’m upgrading my smaller tank as my two angel fish have grown now and i was wondering what else i could put in the tank (if i can) it would have two angels in who are about 3/4 grown and a common pleco who is no bigger than 5 inches (yet) i also have 2 cories who will also be in the tank i purchased them not knowing they were schooling fish which is another reason i’m upgrading my tank so hopefully they can have a full school of 6, i was just wondering if it would be possible to have all these fish in a 44 gallon and not be overstocked (2 angels, A pleco and 6 cories) and if adding any more fish plus that would be possible? only small fish like tetras, just want to know before potentially overstocking my new tank?

That's plenty big enough to add more corys. And a school of 6 or so top swimmers like hatchet fish, etc. Your common pleco will eventually outgrow even that tank tho. They can get 45-50 cm long

And they begin to produce much more waste than they consume. Cool looking fish, but they are not good algae eaters or cleaners. Actually, just the opposite. Bristlenose or rubber lip are a couple that do better with algae and stay smaller just fyi

i know he will grow massive eventually my mom bought him for a small ten gallon for me when i was younger years ago not realising how big he would get and that getting him a huge tank would be on me financially now when he gets to that size i’ll still love him all the same though he’s been with me forever, thanks for the advice i really appreciate it

i do also have a bristlenose (in a separate tank) i’ve only had him for a few months though and took him in when he got a burn of my brothers fish tank heater because i had an empty tank at the time where he could heal by himself but now i just ended up keeping him permanently

i’ve just looked at some images of rubber lip plecos and not sure he’s even a common pleco i’ll definitely have a close look next time he’s on the front of the glass

Haha! Good job fish rescue! Yeah, the fish stores don't tell ppl how big those get. And tbh alot of the employees prob don't know anyway

There are you tube videos on line showing ppl diving in lagoons and bayous in Florida, literally full of invasive plecos. I guess years ago someone let a few go and the waters are full of these big common plecos swimming on the bottom

Back
Top Bottom