New tank stocking opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason the Lost

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of stocking a new 20 gal fw tank....once everything is cycled and ready and I'm done I'm looking at this roster...any opinions or warnings?
3-albino cory
4-red swordtail
1-small pleco...havent really decided on a specific one yet
6-tiger barb

this leaves me MAYBE room for one extra inhabitant?...any suggestions? Possibly non fish for a little variety.

Not really my preferred variety of cory, and you may have to watch out for fin nipping from the tiger barbs with the swordtails. Maybe you could get a gourami? Dunno how they work with barbs.

I like the little albino's...my gravel is black so it gives a nice contrast with those little ghosts darting about.

The corys will be fine, and I would also suggest a clown pleco. They aren't too expensive and stay very small, like 4 inches max. Do you have a plan for what you will do with all the swordtail babies? They will quickly overpopulate your tank, as will any other livebearer. Also, you may want to choose something other than tiger barbs. These are very active and boisterous fish, and may not have enough swimming space in a 29 gallon (mine live in a 55 gallon). They can be nippy, too. What about some tetras, like glowlights, pristellas, neons or cardinals, etc.? I like Hrfrankel's suggestion for a gourami. Dwarf gouramis are very beautiful and would make a great centerpiece fish. Or, you could try a couple Bolivian rams or blue rams (although blue rams are notoriously difficult to keep).

hmm, I like the swordtails because of the deep red...I'm not really partial to any fish and I'm open to suggestion that will make my life easier as I'm new to this.

I like the energy the tiger barbs have but I keep hearing bad things about them. I have two in my tank currently, if I would stop stocking those and move onto a different type of school fish do you think the existing barbs would give me major problems?

I'm really open to suggestion but the one type of fish I REALLY don;t like is the tetra...they just look like multi colored minnow to me, I don't find them appealing.

Current tank mates are
1 male swortail
3 albino cory (2 in QT)
2 Sunfire Platy
2 Tiger Barb

Back
Top Bottom