New Tank Syndrome -- Learned Something New Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squirt0170

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I still have been using test strips (lost my job couple weeks ago due to HUGE cut backs in the company) and spent a good investment on the teststripes.. my Nitrite is never going down I wanted to make sure I was getting an accurate reading... since a lot of people say they are really inaccurate, despite my fish are fine... I finally took a sample of water (and my test strips) to my trusted LFS (instead of Petsmart because they use the same test strips) to see if they are getting the same reading as me. I told the associate that my tank is in it's 2nd cycling stage... he tested as I did and we came up with the same results.. Except I can't check for Ammonia.. The Ammonia was 0, the Nitrate was good for a 2nd stage cycle and the nitrites were high...

Okay what I learned from him is in order to finish the cycle I shouldn't do any water changes or vacuuming the gravel, the nitrites will dissapear when the cycle is finished, by doing water changes to eliminate it is only prolonging the process... he said I shouldn't need to do any water changes but once a month.

I've caused myself more frustration than needed :) But I wanted to share this in case anyone else is new to fish like I am and the whole cycling process..

Just wait until you get Old Tank Syndrome (it’s real)! You will always learn something new in this hobby. If nitrates are present, then the nitrite converting bacteria are there, but in small numbers. I agree with the don't vacuum the tank, but you can do PWC since so little of the bacteria is floating around. The vast majority of the bacteria is in the filter, on substrate and on the decor and will not be disturbed by a PWC. Doing PWC is like opening a window in your house. You can easily survive in your house for weeks, years and never go outside and never open a window; however, the place will start to feel "stale" after awhile. Your aquarium water will get that way too, which is why PWC are needed.

What Menagerie says is true. Unfortunately employees at lfs's aren't always extremely knowledgable. Not to mention high nitrites are lethal to your fish. By doing pwc's you help the fish.

I can really see where water changes are great for the fish and the better the water is the better the environment is for the fish, longer they will live...

For me it seems like everytime I do one to get the Nitrites down the fish are in shock... a 20 percent water change or even 50 doesn't really do squat to lower the Nitrites.. When I did large water change (75%) and successfully lowered the nitrites it killed my fish and the ones that didn't die were miserable and in shock... So for now I'm just going to let it be, the fish are fine and I'm letting the cycle finish and then go from there. I just don't want my fish miserable or dying.. :)

I REALLY do appreciated all of the advice you all give me!! Thank you again ;) I didn't know squat about what I was really doing until I came to this forum and I immensly enjoy reading what you guys have learned. It's a huge help and I have really learned A LOT!

To avoid shock with water changes, you should match the temperature of the new water with the tank temperature, and make sure you are using plenty of conditioner. Beyond temperature shock and unconditioned water, I really can't see how a PWC could hurt a fish, even a very large PWC. I would think that you're risking the health of your fish far more by letting them ride out the cycle unaided than by helping with PWCs, but I suppose it's really up to you.

One option, though: have you considered just doing multiple small PWCs? Like, 2 10% PWC's a day? It might not make a dent in your NitrItes, but your fish wil thank you.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom