new tank-used-calcium deposits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got home with the new tank. (a used 55 gal running when I bought it and home to 1 african cichlid and an algae eater) It is in good shape but has a lot of calcium deposits on the rim, filter and light fixture. The tank was up and running with clear water and the owner told me that this is natural. Is it? Can I prevent it?
I don't like the gravel at all and want to clean the tank to a like new condition. Would it be easier for me to toss the gravel, clean the tank and start over? I would keep some of the decor for awhile and the filter has two bio wheels. Could I just add beneficial bacteris from the store and begin again? Or should I work with what I have?

If you toss the stuff, even with the beneficial bacteria you add, you will have to monitor the parameters as you could have a mini cycle. The calcuim deposits I gently scraped off with a plastic putty knife, you could try some vinegar just make sure to wash it off well. I know someone that used CLR for cleaning but I'd be leery about that because of the harshness of the chemical. The plastic putty knife worked for me.

calcium deposits are normal if there is some calcium in the tap water used.. iron deposits can happen as well.. but as Zagz suggested scraping can help but vinegar will usually do the trick.. lots of rinsing would be in order.. but I suggest lots of rinsing of anything that will be in contact with the water.. HTH
extremely bad calcium deposits can be removed by using a bleach solution then vinegar then rinsing..

Back
Top Bottom