New tank, water Ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowinak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, i know i know dont mess with the Ph lol well i learned this too late. I bought an API Ph test kit that came with Ph up and down, tested my water and it read way high so long story short after adding ph down a few times and testing a few times it has not seemed to change then during my research i came across a few forum topics and posts that said do not mess with the Ph. Well, i did. The tank has been cycling now for about 2 weeks, no fish in there, everything else is looking good so now that i added about 60-70 drops of Ph down should i be worried about it at all?

I'd just keep an eye on it since you're only fishless cycling. I've never used PH down but the only thing you need to worry about right now is your ph dropping into the low 6s and stalling your cycle. If it does get that low just do some water changes. Your going to have to do a large water changes after your cycle anyway so it really won't even be present by the time you get fish.

using the API test kit it doesnt seem to change at all still reading about 7.6 but thats as high as my test goes. I plan on stocking a rainbow shark and 7 or 9 tiger barbs

As far as lowering your ph goes, chemicals are a lot more sketchy than just adding driftwood or peat granuals. I had to do that in the early days of my aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom