New Tank with Stringy White stuff Growing...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not add any algaecide to the tank.

Hair algae, if it is alive and growing, will not be clear or white.

I would lean more towards cyanobacteria or some kind of bacterial bloom. Is there any driftwood in the tank?

Stuff like this can popup with new tanks, and it is not uncommon. Brush it off as best as possible, and I think it will eventually clear of its own volition.

Are you planning to fishless cycle the tank prior to adding fish?

Just to add one far fetched idea...another member on this site had a very similar problem when he was trying to fishless cycle his tank. After about a million questions we discovered he wasn't using a dechlorinator(some idiot at his lfs told him he didn't need to in the UK) and we also found he was using a UV filter. After the dechlor and turning off the UV filter, the problem quickly subsided.

interesting eco, any ideas/theories on what it was?

I have seen stuff like this in new tanks that I have started (not every time, but a couple of times) and it was never long lived...

fort384 said:
interesting eco, any ideas/theories on what it was?

I have seen stuff like this in new tanks that I have started (not every time, but a couple of times) and it was never long lived...

Only thing I could think of was that it was the bacteria trying to grow, but getting absolutely decimated by the chlorine and UV filter and getting launched out into the tank. Probably not actually what was happening, but that's the only thing I could wrap my mind around. I don't understand how a UV filter could be healthy for a tank trying to colonize bacteria when it's sole purpose is to destroy bacteria.

It comes down to gram negative and gram positive bacteria... and where the bacteria is found. (the uv sterilizer that is)

fort384 said:
It comes down to gram negative and gram positive bacteria... and where the bacteria is found. (the uv sterilizer that is)

Whoosh... That was the sound of what you just said going over my head, lol.

That sounds interesting. If I knew what you meant.

Hi, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Thanks for you input! As of today I noticed that the water is cloudy, but the stuff has not grown/expanded at all...so I was happy about that.

Fort, no I don't have any driftwood, and I plan on adding fish once the ammonia and nitrite levels out. Am I correct in doing that? I tested the water today and my results were... pH 8.2, NH3/NH4+ 0.50, and 0 for both Nitrite and Nitrate

Hi, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Thanks for you input! As of today I noticed that the water is cloudy, but the stuff has not grown/expanded at all...so I was happy about that.

Fort, no I don't have any driftwood, and I plan on adding fish once the ammonia and nitrite levels out. Am I correct in doing that? I tested the water today and my results were... pH 8.2, NH3/NH4+ 0.50, and 0 for both Nitrite and Nitrate

No, I'm not adding ammonia. The water in my area has ammonia (the municipality dist. has been jacking with the water lately).

ok, did you take a look at that article? You will need a source of ammonia (probably a little more substantial than 0.5ppm) to cycle a tank.

Ok I just realized that what I said was dumb. LOL. I'm not waiting for anything to level out, (I confuse this tank with my other one, which I am currently working to get the ammonia to level out). I'm waiting to see what happens with this white stuff. Please pardon my brain fart.

It's been a long day.

Yes I looked at it, but I plan to add fish soon.

You may want to look again at the article. Your tank is not ready for fish. If you add fish soon, it will either mean you are going to lose some, or you will need to do daily partial water changes for a few weeks.

Yes I plan to do partial water changes daily if I add the two fish. But on the other hand I have read about fishless cycling and am considering it as well. Thank you for the article, very helpful.

Fishless is the only way to go IMO. It's faster, easier and you don't kill or permanently damage the fish you use to cycle.

You are very welcome! Cycling with fish is an option... just know that there are some species that are particularly susceptible to even low levels of ammonia, so they wouldn't be a good choice to cycle with.

The most humane method would be fishless... but it is not the only method, for sure! Best of luck.

I'm definitely thinking about doing it without fish. I just hope whatever this white crud is will go away soon.

I'm definitely thinking about doing it without fish. I just hope whatever this white crud is will go away soon.

I did a fish-in cycle (noob) and had this sort of bloom show up. After a few water changes, it went away by itself. It probably has something to do with the water quality. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I believe I had the same thing and it went away. My fish doesn't seem any worse for wear for it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom