New Tank with Stringy White stuff Growing...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Newfishgrl...I just noticed that we're both in Texas. I'm in East Texas, Tyler area. If you're in the same area, it is probably the water quality. Just a thought.

I think it will... like I said above, I have had similar phenomena when cycling tanks in the past, but fishless cycling, and fish in cycling. I wouldn't worry to much about it just yet. Rather, I would just try and brush it off and filter it out as much as possible.

Thanks guys for jumping in here. At the time, I was fairly sure of what I told her, but not 100%. I should have gone with what I first thought, bacteria. I just don't remember bacteria forming the strings she was describing. The amount of light should have been a flag, there was not enough of it.

To answer another question asked here in plain talk:

Gram-negative bacteria are pathogenic, usually causing disease in the host organism. They have a thin cell wall and appear as rods under the microscope. Gram negative bacteria are the bad bacteria that cause the majority of diseases in fish. Aquarium bacteria in this class can be aerobic or anaerobic. Most gram negative bacteria are killed by UV light.

Gram-positive bacteria do not always cause disease in the host organism and have a very thick cell wall. They appear circular under the microscope. Most gram positive bacteria are the good nitrifying bacteria in your aquarium and rarely cause disease in aquarium fish. Aquarium bacteria in this class are mostly aerobic, but can be anaerobic. Many gram positive bacteria have shown a marked resistance to UV light.

Hope that helps those of us that didn't understand that.

Shadowraven said:
Thanks guys for jumping in here. At the time, I was fairly sure of what I told her, but not 100%. I should have gone with what I first thought, bacteria. I just don't remember bacteria forming the strings she was describing. The amount of light should have been a flag, there was not enough of it.

To answer another question asked here in plain talk:

Gram-negative bacteria are pathogenic, usually causing disease in the host organism. They have a thin cell wall and appear as rods under the microscope. Gram negative bacteria are the bad bacteria that cause the majority of diseases in fish. Aquarium bacteria in this class can be aerobic or anaerobic. Most gram negative bacteria are killed by UV light.

Gram-positive bacteria do not always cause disease in the host organism and have a very thick cell wall. They appear circular under the microscope. Most gram positive bacteria are the good nitrifying bacteria in your aquarium and rarely cause disease in aquarium fish. Aquarium bacteria in this class are mostly aerobic, but can be anaerobic. Many gram positive bacteria have shown a marked resistance to UV light.

Hope that helps those of us that didn't understand that.

Ever considered going on Jeopardy? Thanks for the explanation.

LOL, my wife does call me a walking encyclopedia/dictionary/thesaurus. I guess I do overdo it at times, don't I? ;)

Funny thing is, I understand perfectly. Some people on these sites are very knowledgable...but come across as condescending. I appreciate the fact that you can relate your knowledge without making people feel like they are inferior. Thanks.

I'm in Houston, and the water here is TERRIBLE!

I just got home from work and checked a tank that I have cycling. Looks like I have the same stringy white things. I wish that I could show a pic of it...still can't find the memory card reader.

I would just keep an eye on it for a few days. All should be kosher though.

Newfishgrl said:
Ok I just realized that what I said was dumb. LOL. I'm not waiting for anything to level out, (I confuse this tank with my other one, which I am currently working to get the ammonia to level out). I'm waiting to see what happens with this white stuff. Please pardon my brain fart.

It's been a long day.

Nothing is gonna happen if you aren't adding ammonia

My tank is cloudy, but the stringy white stuff is still there. Thankfully it has not grown on anything else. Tomorrow I think I'm going to try to brush off as much as I can and hopefully it will filter out and the water will clear up.

Newfishgrl said:
I'm only going to add ammonia if I do a fishless cycle.

No srry I was just typing from when you said you were waiting for everything to level out

Shadowraven, I was going to go ahead and brush it off today. Do you think I should just wait it out and see of it clears up on it's own?

Here is a mini breakdown of thisweek's happenings:
Mon- added water
Tue- saw white stuff, added tetra safe start (as per my tank plan)
Wed- cloudy water, stuff still there but hasn't grown
Thur & today- same as Wed

It shouldn't hurt anything if decide to do it. I'd keep a siphon nearby to suck it out of the tank when you do though.

BTW, I like the way that your tank appears to be aquascaped from that first picture you posted in this thread. Any chance that we could get a chance to see more of the tank?

Ok I think I will go ahead and do it then. I'm thinking I will use a new toothbrush to help get it out of the nooks. Do you think using a siphon will slow down my bio build up (tetra safe start)? However there is quite a bit of stuff on the surface of the water. Hmm

Thank you! Once the water clears up I will most definitely post some pics on here. :)

Also I bought some of the Tetra water clarifier. Add some after the cleaning??

I would stop adding all the chemicals to your tank. None of them will address any of the root causes of the issues you are facing.

Siphoning will not slow down your cycle at all. A toothbrush will work great from what you are planning.

I would stop adding all the chemicals to your tank. None of them will address any of the root causes of the issues you are facing.

Siphoning will not slow down your cycle at all. A toothbrush will work great from what you are planning.

The only chemicals I have added was the Tetra Safe Start, and dechlorinator when I filled the tank.

Back
Top Bottom