New Tank with Stringy White stuff Growing...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishgrl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I just set up a 50g tank; new gravel, decor, filter etc. Put the water in yesterday and conditioned it. Today I notice all of this stringy white stuff growing on the fake plants and ornaments. Any thoughts on what it might be? I took pics with my iPhone as my camera is broken. pH 7.6 ammonia 2.0

The rock in this picture is fake and colored to look algae weathered. The stuff I am talking about is growing on the surface of it. If you look closely there are little stringy clear clobs coming off of it. Just thought I might clarify that.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,843
My first thought was hydra, not too common, but not unknown either. Unfortunately I can't make out anything too well in that photo. Are they long strings or short ones?

As of right now the strands are short but rapidly moving to other objects. I have another pic, but the quality is still not great.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,137
Still hard to see, but it looks like it is too long to be hydra. It may be hair algae, but I can't tell for sure. There are other things that are possible too. How much light does this tank receive?

Does hair algae have a white coloring? This stuff is slimy, stringy and white/grey. As far as natural light my blinds are typically always closed and the tank is across the room from them. I keep the light on in the tank for 8-10 hours/day. The light is a 30 watt flourescent if that matters.

Actually you just gave a fairly good description of what hair algae looks like. Did this happen suddenly, like overnight?

Yes! Insanely fast (water was just added yesterday), and I also added two new fake plants just today and I can see that it has already begun to spread onto them. Mind you it is not entirely covering the surfaces (yet).

This could also be a bacterial bloom since you just set-up the tank. Just a few more questions to be sure though. Is it hard to pull off and tough or does it break away and fall apart easily?

Bacterial bloom...sounds good.? It breaks away easily and floats away. Please ask away!

Also noticed it is only on ornaments and fake plants, not gravel or filter tube (yet anyways) if that helps.

No, however today I added Tetra Safe Start (planned to use this, so not in reaction to this growth) which obviously clouded the water a bit, but the 'stuff' was already there.

I'm sorry this has taken so long, but I'm a little tired right now. I've had a few brain farts along the way, so this has taken longer then normal. I could be wrong, but I think I know what this is from the answers you gave me.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably hair algae. It is not all that uncommon in new tanks and doesn't usually last too long. Algaefix or a similar product should take care of this if you don't want to wait. Hair algae is not dangerous, but it is really unsightly. I also considered the idea that it might be a fungus, but dismissed that idea.

You don't have any fish in this tank yet, right?

No problem, thank you so much for your help! No fish yet. I can wait but I hope it doesn't take too long or grow to extreme measures.

If it continues, or gets much worse, let us know. Maybe next time I can be more awake and provide better help to you. ;)

Will Algaefix affect the tank cycling? Thanks again! I will keep an eye on it and update. :)

Not to my knowledge. It should only affect the algae, not the bacteria. If that doesn't solve your problem, be sure to let me know.

I will give it some time and see if it goes away on it's own before I use any chemicals, but either way I will let you know.

Bacteria is the most likely explanation, grows too fast for algae, and I never saw white algae anyway. personally I would leave it alone and see what it does for a few days, maybe raising the temperature a few degrees might get rid of it????.

Pete

I have seen hair algae that was white/gray in color, but that might be when it's dying off and not actively growing. I was leaning towards bacteria at first, especially due to the speed of growth and the fact that her tank is cycling. But bacteria usually forms a white coating on things and is not stringy, isn't it?

If anyone else knows for sure or has more information, please chime in here.

Either way, it should clear up on it's own in a few days.

I agree Shadowraven, leave it be it'll go all by itself (famous last words). fingers crossed lol!!.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom