New tanks to care for need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. So I just started a second job where I go to this business and take care of the tanks. I need some advice on some of them. So first off here is what they have (I am not 100 % sure of tank sizes)

Tank 1 is a 280 with 3 HUGE koi about 20" give or take and 2 huge silver dollars. About 7"
They keep it at about 75 degrees.
This tank runs an FX5 and an FX6
-how often should I be doing a water change? I am adding air stones today.
I've only been working this will be my third week. So I have been doing 2 water changes a week. (Use a garbage can that's about 35 gallons)
I do 2 of those at a time.
I have the api test strips but I can't really tell the difference between the colors.
*another thing to note is that I've never worked with tanks this big I'm used to 50 ish and pet store tanks.

**they do not use any water conditioner or cycle. Nothing is added to the water. They do not want anything added to the water

Is there anything I acan add to the filters to help? They have said they will get me whatever I need.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would at least explain to them that water conditioner is a need for the fish. With out it the chemicals in tap water can kill them. It must be a pretty big tank for 3 koi that size. Does the tank look big enough to keep the fish comfortably. If it is not an adequate habitat for the fish housed inside I wouldn't be a part of it because you are supporting someone that obviously does not care about his fish and it is cruel to treat an animal like that. It would be like putting a 75 pound dog in a 2foot by 2foot fenced in area to live.

Well they said they "don't want chemicals" to be added the water. They have had these fish for at least 5 to 10 years. I will try to bring it up again. And I forgot to mention the koi are supposed to go to a 3000 gallon pond in summer. So they will be gone eventually. I want to make them as comfortable as possible. Here is a pic of the tank.

Attachments

• 1448069288425.jpg
    1448069288425.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1448069336283.jpg
    1448069336283.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 53
Ohh my, you have yourself in a predicament. That tank is all wrong. I can't believe people think it's ok to keep those huge fish in that tank. I definitely would lose that job due to my big mouth.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the koi are too big for that tank,, and you need chemicals for the water, regular tap water contains chemicals that will kill the fish. but tell them to get a pong cause that is way too small for koi

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Bobo already mentioned that they are going in a pond in the summer! Also I would get the api liquid test kit and then test the water. That will help you figure out how many water changes you should do

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you spell echo! Like I said they are going to a 3000 gallon pond. I am just trying to make these guys as comfortable as I can for right now. I added two big air stones. I am only there 5 hours a week it is hard to get so much done! I already have the test kit. I will bring it Monday. It's hard for me to test all the water as it takes time! I will ask the lady at the front to help. Also about the water conditioner I know it is a need in have tried explaining that. The lady just says "once you add chemicals you always have to" I'm like.... girl you always should be!!!!! Well that's not what I say but you get the idea. She's very stubborn. They have had these tanks/fish for 10/20 years they do not like change!
Another question I have does anyone know anything ab out gar? They have 2 gar tanks and I haven't found too much information online. All the tanks have ample filtration just trying to find out some more info on these guys.
Thanks in advance!

Bobo already mentioned that they are going in a pond in the summer! Also I would get the api liquid test kit and then test the water. That will help you figure out how many water changes you should do

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep I read the whole post I understand. It's just very frustrating. Those fish are lucky that they have someone kind enough to care for them. Also it's just the ignorance of the whole situation.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trust me I know. It makes me so mad but I'm just happy I can give them something better than they had before.

Back
Top Bottom