New Test Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I recieved my Master test kit and gravel vac. After some technical errors, i did a 20% water change and some tests...the results are as follows:

Ammonia: 3.0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: Between 0.0-5.0 ppm
Temp: 72-74 F
Hardness: 150-300 range (was 300 at beginning)
Fish: 2 Comet Goldfish (x1 small, x1 medium) & 1 Chinese Algae Eater
Filter Type: Tetra Whisper 40
Chemicals used for water changes: Prime, API Quick Start as directed
Last water change: June 19,2012

I had added some Quick Cure Ick treatment also, as well as 3 teaspoons of salt to soften water and help with ick. Any tips for my readings?

Water change, water change, water change! Ammonia of 3ppm is very high and will be affecting your fish. You need to keep it down at .25ppm or less. Looks like your tank is cycling. How long has it been set up for again?

What prime and ammonia eliminating products do is convert it to a less toxic form of ammonia. They do not remove it just temporarily make it less harmful. They work on smaller amounts of ammonia (less than 2ppm) for 24-48 hours. They are good to use while cycling because they can help protect the fish between water changes but they are not a quick fix for an ammonia problem in a cycling tank. You need to do water changes or it's just going to keep building and harming your fish more.
The stress this is causing your fish is what would have brought on the ich. Stressed fish have lower immune systems therefore leaving them more susceptible.

I did a little more water change just now, then added a little Prime. The ich on my fish seems to look better than yesterday! :) I'll keep up the water changes this week. Thank you for all your help~! ;)

Back
Top Bottom