Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation new tiger barb help!

i have 4 tiger barbs and the new one i introduced to the tank is swimming near the surface almost vertical and the bigger of the 4 is nipping at him when he is being nipped at he swims fine is there a problem????????

Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Barbs, Tiger Barbs especially, set pecking order in the tank.
Have you ever watched them, with their lips locked together, swimming in a tight circle? They're sizing each other up.
I suspect this is what's going on.
How much smaller is the new barb than the other three?
What size tank are they in?
Does it have a good place to hide? You might consider putting a couple of (properly washed) small flower pots in the tank, if not.

They're nippy fish for sure. As long as he's swimming around and not cowering in a corner, I don't think you've got a problem. Just like kids, they'll work it out, then when one submits, they'll be best friends.

Rick

Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

re tiger

well they are still not even an inch so i have them in a ten gallon for right now i will be moving them in about 6 or 7 months when they are a bit bigger but i was told untill they grow to be about an inch and a half it is fine
they have not locked lips yet i have only had them for roughly a week and a half. it is about an 1/8th of an inch bigger than the other two
Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think you need to worry about them. They're too small to do much more than tussle.

Keep watch on them and give them places to hide and I'm sure they will be all right.

Rick

Tags
barb, tiger, tiger barb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com