New to a fish tank and got a 20 gallon freshwater. Need advise please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopper3370

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I’m new to having a fish tank. I got a 20 gallon Aqueon LED tank with 1 blue gourami, 2 cobra guppies, 1 Cory Catfish, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 1 bristlenose pleco. I have a power flow filter on the back of the tank and a air stone, with some rock decor and 2 live plants. I did my first water test after two weeks and the results are as follows:
High range pH 80ppm
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nirates 0ppm

What should good numbers look like and how do I get them there or keep them there? Should I perform a 15% water change or 25% every other week? Plus my regular bristlenose pleco hasn’t come out from the little cave on the right side of the tank for 3 days and I can’t se him, should I be worried? Sorry for so many question. Just trying to learn, keep the tank clean, and keep the fish alive.

Thank you,

EricIMG_1962.jpg

You are essentially doing a fish in cycle as your tank isn't cycled. You want to keep your ammonia at .25 ppm. Your nitrites at 0 and never above .25 ppm. Your nitrates not above 40 ppm.

First thing you should do is two 50% water changes back to back asap. Get that ammonia down to .25 ppm. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm and you do a 50% water change you will then have .25 ppm.

Test your water daily to establish a water change schedule. Be prepared to change your water frequently and more of it.

Feed lightly during the cycle process.

Good luck and keep us updated.

How big are you bn plecos right now? At full size I would recommend only having one but if they are small then it should be fine right now. But as mentioned above you're basically doing a fish in cycle so removing one of the bn plecos would be beneficial because they have a high bioload. To help with ammonia I would add more live plants, they look great and help filter the water to some extent. Also once the tank is cycled I would add some more Cory cats of the same species, they are a schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom