New to female bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently started cycling a 20 gal tank with a heater n filter. Started out with 2 large golden mystery snails 1thumbnail size golden snail n two thumbnail size black snails and a veil tail Betta bout a yr old. He was previously in a cycled 5gal wit the 2 large snails. The male Betta and one large snail died a few days ago but everyone else is healthy n active n eating. I've not had a tank bigger than the 5 gal until now and I've not had female Bettas til now. I put all 3 in the 20 gal and the red one was the instigator so I put her in my 5 gal with the 2 black snails. The blue one and white one wit pinkish red fins are in the 20 gal with my golden snails. Both my tanks have filters and heaters but my 20 gal is cycling. The blue one has been picking on the white one some she has some missing tail fins and all 3 look bloated to me? I read that the females have swollen bellies? Can anyone give me some info on how to take care of these girls and how to take care of my 20 gal as far as water changes how many gal at a time n how often once it's cycled n basic info on female Bettas as far as genuine look care what to look for as far as sickness?? Any help much appreciated

dancersmama79 said:
I have recently started cycling a 20 gal tank with a heater n filter. Started out with 2 large golden mystery snails 1thumbnail size golden snail n two thumbnail size black snails and a veil tail Betta bout a yr old. He was previously in a cycled 5gal wit the 2 large snails. The male Betta and one large snail died a few days ago but everyone else is healthy n active n eating. I've not had a tank bigger than the 5 gal until now and I've not had female Bettas til now. I put all 3 in the 20 gal and the red one was the instigator so I put her in my 5 gal with the 2 black snails. The blue one and white one wit pinkish red fins are in the 20 gal with my golden snails. Both my tanks have filters and heaters but my 20 gal is cycling. The blue one has been picking on the white one some she has some missing tail fins and all 3 look bloated to me? I read that the females have swollen bellies? Can anyone give me some info on how to take care of these girls and how to take care of my 20 gal as far as water changes how many gal at a time n how often once it's cycled n basic info on female Bettas as far as genuine look care what to look for as far as sickness?? Any help much appreciated

Going for a sorority, eh? I recommend putting heavy plant cover and you will see less fighting between the blue and the white one.

I'm a bit confused. They are ALL females right? And you have them in your 20 while your cycling it? Although that's generally not a good idea do water changes often and feed a minimal amount until you get over the hump with ammonia and nitrites

As far as water changes go, it's usually 20-25% weekly, siphon advised.

Sickness... Ick and fin rot is the most common. Can be cured with Aquarium Salt, water changes, and adjusting temperature.

For bloat and swim bladder disease, I recommend peas and algae wafers. Vegetation helps the digestive system in fish just like for humans

I feed my snails algae wafers and they have been eating those as well as the food I've been giving them. How much and how often should I feed them? I may be feeding them too much... I tend to spoil my kids lol I have a siphon I use for my water changes n use aquarium salt occasionally thanks for the info

Here are some pictures of the 2 females in the 20 gal

Attachments

• image-3729476818.jpg
    image-3729476818.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-97216816.jpg
    image-97216816.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1595500021.jpg
    image-1595500021.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1440826984.jpg
    image-1440826984.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 79
Was interested n how ur females are doing? Im considering and doing alot of research on betta sororities now but it seems the odds of it actually workin are rare n im not sure if i wanna try it ..

ive had success with mine so far i have my 3 females and had a black snail couple and let their eggs hatch and the male died now i have a female with a dozen babies in the tank with the 3 bettas and they all get along they fight ocasionally mostly when its feeding time other than that no problem. just once a week water changes of 30% and add aquarium salt when needed... i test the tank at least twice a week.

Good luck with your sororuty ventures!
I have one currently going in my 20long and my gf has one in her 10 standard.

Back
Top Bottom