Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New to forum and aquariums

Hey everyone. Just like title says I'm new to it all..... Very new lol..I did have a small 10gal glow fish tank and that's what got my interest up... So now thanks to a friend I just got a 40gal tank yesterday and I bought black sand for it as well as a marine land penguin 350 filter I also have two and the small round LED bubblers and a heater . With a led light across the top ... I'm looking for ideas, opinions, or advice on how I should go about setting this whole tank up.... I have been looking at canister filters as well I have herd they are much better for filtration. Fish type will most likely be tropical. All ideas and advise welcome.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank as it sits currently

Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Congratulations

Congratulations on getting the 40g, Txredneck29. Canister filters are excellent but for a 40g tank the hang-on-the-back filter should be fine; if you wanted to you could probably add an air-driven sponge filter to the tank for some additional biofiltration. The black sand substrate might make it a challenge if you want to keep live plants in the tank. Most decorations will look pretty good with the black substrate (as will a lot of the fish). Some of the folks here can give you good advice about cleaning and maintaining a sand substrate (I use gravel).

-Yorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txredneck29 View Post
Hey everyone. Just like title says I'm new to it all..... Very new lol..I did have a small 10gal glow fish tank and that's what got my interest up... So now thanks to a friend I just got a 40gal tank yesterday and I bought black sand for it as well as a marine land penguin 350 filter I also have two and the small round LED bubblers and a heater . With a led light across the top ... I'm looking for ideas, opinions, or advice on how I should go about setting this whole tank up.... I have been looking at canister filters as well I have herd they are much better for filtration. Fish type will most likely be tropical. All ideas and advise welcome.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
New tank and a blank canvas! I would consider the following first before choosing your fish.
What is your source water like, hard, soft, acid, alkaline or neutral. Easier to work with your water than fight to alter it.
Do you want real naturalistic planting, some fish destroy plants.
Do you want larger specimen fish or shoals of smaller fish.
These considerations should lead you to a type and size of fish. I opted for soft water South American shoaling fish but have enjoyed larger specimen fish before. My tank is more plant than fish, many people want the fish to be the star.
Get an idea of what you want your tank to look like and then choose your fish to suit.
Good luck, let us know what you go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update on the tank. Have had it setup since I last posted and just put some tropical fish in it about a week ago 5 male cobra guppies and 3 glo fish as well as a chineese Alge eater and 2 Siamese flying fox and today just had a guppies die on me.... I have been testing all of my levels
Nitrate (no3-). Is 0 ppm
Nitrate (no2-). Is 0 ppm
Ammonia (nh3/nh4+). Is 0 ppm
High rang PH is around 8.0 (I have been using the ph down to try to lower it but it hasn't seem to change at all I have been treating it slowly but I have seen no change in the days I have been trying to lower it some also water temp is around 76
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	263457  
Old 02-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are you testing with? Nitrates shouldn't be zero. If you are using strips they are highly inaccurate. If you are using the API master testing kit something is wrong. Your parameters may be way too high, and that's why your fish died.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So do water changes asap, that will save other fish until you get your parameters right........
Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Using the master test kit and only thing I treated with was the ph down trying to lower it some how would I fix nitrates where should they be?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Using the master test kit and only thing I treated with was the ph down trying to lower it some how would I fix nitrates where should they be?

Let the pH be where it is. It does more harm than good trying to alter it. Nitrate correction thru WC's.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

How much should I change also pet shop told me to use API stress coat + and Prime concentrated conditioner for my water I use to do WC said I can use tap water long as I use that treatment.... True false?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True but you have to treat an amount for the whole tank, not just the water you are putting in.....I would change around 40%.......
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

One cap full of prime is for 50 gal mine is a 40 gal tank and I didn't use any of that till after I filled the tank with a hose and treated it in the tank
Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some put half in first and half as you fill,just take a drop out for 40 and turn your pump off as you fill....
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

ph shouldn't mess with guppies. I used to convert fancy guppies to saltwater (ph 8.3) and keep them in my seahorse tanks so the seahorses would have babies to eat every now and then. Unfortunately, guppies sometimes die if you just look at them wrong, I wouldn't panic over the loss of one if everything else looks good.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Everything else seems like it looks okay... But then again newbie here lol I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing but more than willing to learn. Any and all info is welcome good and bad criticizing I can take lol. I know this has already became an addiction but I don't wana get myself to deep before I learn the proper care for everything
Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here Ya go bud. Put your reading glasses on.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d.php?t=154837

Cycling a tank is very very very important. For the health of your fish, and your sanity in the long run.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids
Old 02-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome information here!! Thanks for that link.... Gona do some serious reading

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Awesome information here!! Thanks for that link.... Gona do some serious reading

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

👍 and never hesitate to ask questions even if they say sound dumb. You might get an unexpected answer. Happy reading and happy Friday

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com