New to fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terri13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a tank that has been up and running about six months. 25 gallons fully cycled, prior to adding fish. My tank has one female Dalmatian molly, and 2 female platies (red wag and high fin) and one male platy (blue and red). Also two shrimp. My question is the molly had fry about 3 months ago not many about 11 (she came pregnant from the store although I didn't realize that until she had babies and looked much slimmer). Then two weeks ago when doing the regular water change and maintenance I saw two orange fry. They look similar in structure to the molly but not even close in colour etc. I have attached a picture (I hope as I am new to this forum lol) to see if someone with actually knowledge on this subject can help me figure out if these are platy or molly fry. I lean towards platy because of colour, but really I have no idea who knocked up this molly fish while she was at the pet store so colour alone really doesn't leave me feeling confident.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 54
I believe that platys can hybridize, either with mollies or swordtails; I don't remember which. If mollies, it could be that your male platy strayed from home for a bit.
I have also heard that live-bearers often come from the fish store pregnant, due to being in mixed m/f tanks.
It will be interesting to see what your new fry look like when they grow a bit. Possibly someone with more experience with live-bearers can tell you whether I'm correct or not.

Thanks for trying, I am hoping for platy so fingers crossed, but you are right it is so hard to tell. Is that your Betta in the profile pic? If yes wow he is beautiful.

Thanks, I think I replied wrong to your post I am new to this lol. I am off to see if hybridization is possible.

No hybrid platy/molly is not possible platies can however hybrid with swordtails. No that betta in the picture is not mine but one of them is really close if you were asking me that!

It could be platy i have molly fries in my tank and they look different than yours

Back
Top Bottom