New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yockey0988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I just signed up for the site and new to the hobby. I started a 70 gallon freshwater tank cycled everything and have been researching for my tank and I have added about 10 fish so far.
x2 Bala Sharks
x2 Kissing Gourami
x2 Cory
x2 Black Skirt Tetras
Gold Gourami
Betta
I guess my question through all of that is there any way I can add a cichlid to the tank?
And if this is in the wrong thread I'm sorry.:thanks:

Hello,
I just signed up for the site and new to the hobby. I started a 70 gallon freshwater tank cycled everything and have been researching for my tank and I have added about 10 fish so far.
x2 Bala Sharks
x2 Kissing Gourami
x2 Cory
x2 Black Skirt Tetras
Gold Gourami
Betta
I guess my question through all of that is there any way I can add a cichlid to the tank?
And if this is in the wrong thread I'm sorry.:thanks:

Welcome to AA!
There are multiple SA cichlids that are suitable for community set ups. Rams and angels are the most common suggestions.
Concerning your current stock. There are a few issues that come to mind. Baka sharks are large, schooling (shoaling fish) and require very large tanks and many of their own kind. They are skittish fish and can often hurt themselves if not kept in correctly sized tanks. The kissers also large fish and can reach a foot in length. Just one can fully stock a 70g tank. Cories prefer to be kept in groups of 6 or more. They like the company of others. Black skirts can be fin nippers and are best kept in schools of 8 or more to curb this behavior. I would also keep an very close eye on the gourami and betta relationship. They are from the same family and can often but get along.
As your tank stands now I would not suggest you add any more fish until the current stock issues are resolved.

Thank you very much, I will work on it. just want to get all of it fixed. my gold was already picking on him too. is there a way to keep them calm?

You can try rearranging the the tank to reset any territories or add some more hiding places like tall plants but chances are that it will continue to happen. There are tank dividers but they are ugly and can come loose. Your best bet would be to get a separate 5 gallon for the betta or rehome him.

just a update I know its been a while but I had a GSP in my freshwater and recently moved him to full marine, he is doing really good in my 75 gallon salt. I brought up my nano reef recently too! pictures soon

Back
Top Bottom