New to the hobby, help finish my stocking list.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
tank size will be 50-75g
filter in eheim 2213-2215 depends on tank size.
will be fully planted with tons of cover hiding spots and such
lighting (unsure)

stocking list so far.
4x dwarf gourami - 1male, 3female (i am told this is how it should be)
4x Blue Ram - 2male, 2 female? or should i go with 1-3 like DG?
10 or so Rummynose Tetra

This is where you guys come in, help me pick some good fish to finish my community tank. The main idea is to not get fish that will eat all my plants and that will not fight.

I was just doing some reading on shrimps, specifically the red cherry, amano, and ghost.

Would the fish I have listed eat these shrimp? which of the 3 would you pick and why?

I have red cherry shrimps and dwarf gouramis so I know they are fine and should imagine the same with rams as they are about the same size. Any fish much bigger and the shrimp will be eaten. If you want the cherry shrimp to stay really red i would not get any other shrimp as the new shrimps will be a very faded red that won't look as nice.

Stick to 2 pairs of Rams if you can. Having extra females usually results in the un-paired females getting killed off.

I really like how my Rams act when they have dither fish. They get very bold and spend most of their time out investigating the tank and begging for food because the dither fish signal that it's safe. The Rummies may do well for that purpose, but some additional ones that I know work well are Threadfin Rainbows and Cherry Barbs. If you want to breed the Rams then I highly recommend the rainbows since their mouths are too small to bother any fry. Plus they have really eye catching and colorful fin flicking displays :)

Shrimp should be fine, but some of the babies may get picked off by the gourami and rams. You'll have a higher survival rate if you have guppy grass, moss, or any other good spawning mop type plants and driftwood/rocks with lots of crevices for the babies to hide in.

You could maybe go for bigger fish like pearl gouramis and angelfish they look nice. Make sure you put the rummy nose tetras in before both of them though. If you have fine gravel corydoras are amazing. I have 8 you could probably have more. They are so friendly always swimming around and they are good with basically any fish. The angels should go in last and should be small when they go in so they don't give any other fish much Hassle that's the only problem with angels and never have them with neon tetras. Hope this helps.

what do you guys think of putting a small school of oto cats in the mix and maybe some kuhli loaches as well? would they work?

Yep, they should do fine. Khuli's need soft sand for a substrate though, so if you want them you should plan accordingly :)

Back
Top Bottom