New with an urgent Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hurleyeagle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello my name is Brendan and I reside in Oceanside Ca. I just moved her today and i am setting up a new tank and will be bringing fish from my old tank at my old house to my new house tomorrow. My issue is i used Pool filtration sand which i have heard good things about. It is quikrete brand and i rinsed it very thouroughly. But... my tank reeks of chlorine. I have put alot of stress coat in to reduce the chlorine but it doesnt seem to be helping and i have to move my fish tomorrow. Would this be concerning to anyone? I have a 45 gallon tank and a cascade canister filter that is used for 75 gallon tanks. Please let me know your opinions, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a article which might help a little too.

Moving Your Fresh Water Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

You might be having a die off of Beneficial Bacteria if the sand was out of the water for a period of time and now causing ammonia. Also you may want to get a 5G container for water from a local fish store (lfs) full of RO/DI - reverse osmosis/deionized water and use that to rinse the sand. Use Prime water conditioner if you can get it from your lfs. This will help.

What kind of fish do you have?

That sand should be fine. Is it new just now put in, or old sand (maybe I didn't understand correctly.

If it was the dirty sand from your old tank, it can have a lot of muck / mulm in it and need rinsining with treated /conditioned water.

Take a look at using a test kit to see if the water has ammonia out of the tap, before conditioning. It seems that your local water treatment facility may be using a great deal more chlorine/chloramine, as the end of summer causes lots of algae in the lakes.

Please do not hesitate to contact the water company on a business day, or maybe the info is available online which can provide a water content report. Interesting you get a bunch of water from a desalinization facility at that city.
City of Oceanside, California - Water Division

Thanks for the response! Currently i have a bullhead catfish with 4 african cichlids in a 20 gallon tank and my new tank is 45 gallons and going to add some more cichlids. It has been awesome having the catfish with the cichlids, i feed him 10 goldfish at a time and he eats every goldfish but doesnt disturb his tank mates its pretty awesome considering the goldfish arent much smaller than my cichlids.

But im going to let the water filter overnight and see if the chlorine levels go down, the scent is already less strong.

How big is the catfish, think they can get about a foot long. You will likely need yet a larger tank in that fish's future. I don't know too much on the Cichlids so I won't venture out on that one!

Good luck on the new tank!

Back
Top Bottom