The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knucklebuster28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post besides member intro. The set up, Petco's 29 gal. aquarium kit, 40 lbs medium gravel substrate, 3 plastic plants of different heights, one small castle, a medium sized rock arch with hiding spots, and finally 2 4" air stones. Tank was set up on 3-13-2021, so have started out on a fishless cycle. Petco told us to wait a week running tank, test ph and test for ammonia. At the end of the first week am tests, ph at 6.5 ammonia was at 0. That afternoon went to Petsmart and got 2 neon terras, and 2 platys. did the 15 minute wait with fish bobbin in bag before adding them to tank. 2 hours later could tell fish stressing, not swimming well, difficult breathing. Next morning all 4 dead. took fish back to Petsmart along with a sample of water from the tank. water checked out good with their test strips. I did not purchase anymore fish, as I wanted to learn more on what happened or better to say what didn't happen. Most importantly learned the tank was not cycled!!!! Still not completely cycled yet. have done 2 50% waterer changes, each time adding Top Fin ready start bacteria, and Top Fin conditioner. Now have a Fluval 4 in 1 master test kit( expiration date 07-2024). I also changed the filters in the HOB to a fiber medium and added a foam block to the intake tube of the filter. One because 2 of the dead fish where stuck to the intake tube, and second for the extra media for bacteria. For 2 weeks I have done nothing to tank, just let it run adding a pinch of fish food once a day. Today tested water; ph @7.5 ammonia @ 1.2 nitrite @0.3. Did not test nitrates because test for nitrates stated that a high nitrite reading would affect a nitrate reading. Sorry for such a long post, just hoping my lesson helps someone else.

I wouldn't consider myself an aquarium expert, but I have been keeping fish for several years and I am a little surprised that you lost all of the fish right away. Many people today still do fish-in cycles. Stressful for the fish, but I've had bettas and danios both survive fish-in cycles and go on to live full healthy lives (this was back when I had no idea what I was doing, lol). Cycling the tank even with fish can take 6 weeks or longer. Also, neon tetras are schooling, so they would prefer to be in a group of 5 or 6+. Having only 2 would probably stress them out to begin with, so perhaps consider getting more when you go to add fish again. Lastly, pH generally doesn't change with the aquarium cycle. Going from 6.5 to 7.5 is a pretty big swing if you are using water out of the tap. I would maybe take a look at the pH again. Many popular aquarium fish can survive in a range of pH values, but what's important is that the pH stays consistent and doesn't change.

Just wanted to add my insights to your post since I saw you didn't have any replies yet. Good luck!

new fish tank

so i wanted to start a tank and thought i could just add water and fish and done so i bought a 10 gallon kit and i set it up and added let it filter for a day then i added 8 serpae tetra and 3 cory so the tank is now a week old and i found out about the cycle 4 days ago and so i added quick start now 4 of the serpae have died and they dont look too healthy and the cory are doing fine i always test the water everyday i have five plants in the tank is there anything i can do to save the fish i dont want them to die i feel bad

I know the quickest way to get an aquarium cycle going is to get some filter media, a cup of gravel, or even a piece of decor from a tank that has already been cycled. That way you are introducing a population of nitrifying bacteria straight to the tank. If you know someone who already has an aquarium, this could be an option. I don't think Petco or Petsmart would give you anything, but some local fish stores will help out with new tank set ups with a cup of gravel.

Back
Top Bottom