Newbie, have I made a mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teaganak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, first post here. I am new to fishkeeping, this Summer we jumped right in with a 75g freshwater tank. Our intention is to have a peaceful community tank. So far, all is well.

However, this weekend, we stopped by our LFS to get some new fish. We wanted a few more serpae tetra and an algae eater. In their serpae tetra tank, they had these two other fish that looked cool and different. We asked what they were and we assumed they were fine for our tank, since our LFS has a great rep around here and have guided us well so far. He told me what they were, but unfortunately I quickly forgot. We have a few serpae, two angels, a couple bushynose, a few rainbows, some zebra danio, and these two.

Today I did some research to figure out what they were ... and I am thinking that I bought two female convicts. Is that the case? And if so, have I made a big mistake? Is our peaceful tank doomed? I haven't seen any aggression, but it has only been a few days. :banghead:

Attachments

• 20210113_130135.jpg
    20210113_130135.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210113_130226.jpg
    20210113_130226.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 21
Yes, they look like a female convict hybrid. Like an albino. Fortunately they are both female, so they'll prob be bossy but not killer. A m/f pair would spawn quickly and maybe wipe out the entire stocking. They'll mainly stick to the bottom and harass each other. Just keep an eye on them. It'll prob be OK. They aren't notorious for eating fish either

Ok, thank you so much. Doesn't sound familiar, but it's just my fault for not listening well enough. I couldn't imagine they would have had them in the serpae tank if they weren't compatible. I suppose I could just give them a call to confirm, they are a small enough shop that hopefully they will remember.

Yeah, they prob will remember. If they're red points, just a close cousin of the convict, they're still both female. And red points are not quite as aggressive anyway

Serpae, rainbows and angels can be bossy in their own right. And the danios are too quick to get in the way, so I think it'll be OK. They like cave structures to feel safe, just fyi

Back
Top Bottom