Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie! Need help with compatability

I have a ten gal with filter and just started stocking two weeks ago, I got a betta and two bamboo shrimp that are acclimated as far as I can tell. I had been waiting for the LFS to stock some neon tetras for a week and a half and went there today to check for them but they had to send them back
So while I was there I noticed the bumblebee gobies and asked about them. The lady said they would be fine with my other fish, I've already got them in the tank together and so far my betta is the only one trying to nip them. What do I do!?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexis009
I have a ten gal with filter and just started stocking two weeks ago, I got a betta and two bamboo shrimp that are acclimated as far as I can tell. I had been waiting for the LFS to stock some neon tetras for a week and a half and went there today to check for them but they had to send them back
So while I was there I noticed the bumblebee gobies and asked about them. The lady said they would be fine with my other fish, I've already got them in the tank together and so far my betta is the only one trying to nip them. What do I do!?
Hi and welcome!
You have two problems with the gobies.
Some bettas do not like tank mates. Chances are if he's already picking on them its not going to stop. Also bumblebee gobies are brackish and shouldn't be kept in freshwater. I'd advise returning the gobies and waiting until they have neons and your tank is fully cycled.
Here is a link in cycling and tank maintenance.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-186089.html

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Hi and welcome!
You have two problems with the gobies.
Some bettas do not like tank mates. Chances are if he's already picking on them its not going to stop. Also bumblebee gobies are brackish and shouldn't be kept in freshwater. I'd advise returning the gobies and waiting until they have neons and your tank is fully cycled.
Here is a link in cycling and tank maintenance.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...um-186089.html
Thanks for answering! I actually just transferred my tank of two years so the bb was still viable, I get clear readings. What little I could find about bumblebees is that they are the ones I have to watch for nipping. So far they are leaving each other alone, but as soon as Falcor gets a rip in his fin they are gone. I just found out about the brackish water thing after I got them home. I add the minimum aquarium salt for a freshwater tank, do you think it'll be enough to keep them comfortable? They were in freshwater at the store.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the stripes on the bumbles solid black all around their bodies? Or do they break up a bit and get a lighter color in some spots?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ee_Gobies.html
Sorry I forgot the link. Check this out. It might help you a bit.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexis009

Thanks for answering! I actually just transferred my tank of two years so the bb was still viable, I get clear readings. What little I could find about bumblebees is that they are the ones I have to watch for nipping. So far they are leaving each other alone, but as soon as Falcor gets a rip in his fin they are gone. I just found out about the brackish water thing after I got them home. I add the minimum aquarium salt for a freshwater tank, do you think it'll be enough to keep them comfortable? They were in freshwater at the store.
No problem!
Fresh water treatment salts are different to marine salt which is needed for brackish conditions so no it's not enough. Quite a lot of stores keep them in fresh water because they either don't care or don't know about their requirements. I have heard of people keeping them in fresh all their lives but they really thrive in brackish.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to FW general discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani
Are the stripes on the bumbles solid black all around their bodies? Or do they break up a bit and get a lighter color in some spots?
Hello Mlani, they both have solid black stripes and are a light honey yellow. Think white clover honey
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
No problem!
Fresh water treatment salts are different to marine salt which is needed for brackish conditions so no it's not enough. Quite a lot of stores keep them in fresh water because they either don't care or don't know about their requirements. I have heard of people keeping them in fresh all their lives but they really thrive in brackish.
I think this can be confusing, not what you said, but the treatment of fish at the lfs.

When my husband was looking to get an african featherfin catfish, we discovered that one lfs has them in brackish. He said that they have been raised in brackish and so would have to be acclimated to fresh. The other lfs has them in fresh and said they were raised in fresh.

I think it really depends on the lfs and their distributor as to how the fish need to be kept when first purchased, if brackish species. Of course, I think they should be acclimated to whatever conditions they would thrive in.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani
Here's a pic that may help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2492902345.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	74299  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser

Here's a pic that may help:
Yeah that's them, I haven't seen the bellies too well but they have strong black stripes.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #12

I also don't want to take them back to Petco where I got them because one of the workers put them in a tank with fish ten times their size! One of my little guys was being stalked and I had to keep scaring the bigger fish away.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #13

Yeah! One of my bamboo shrimp just molted successfully! Everyone's still fine

Tags
compatability

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com