newbie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lordrip1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey was up guys. I am new to planted tanks and I am worried about the Lighting I got in E-bay. Been wondering if is to strong for 55g tank, I been reading and reading, but for some reason I can't make head or tails of it yet. the only thing I have succeed in is in getting my self more Confused. So this is the set up I got for a great price.

Features

• 47.50” x 7.25” x 2.75” (LxWxH)
  • Supports 4x 65W compact fluorescent bulbs
  • Supports 4x Dual Bluemoon LED (8 LED Total)
  • Supports straight pin bulbs
  • 260 watts total power
  • Individual power cords for each function
  • Black, non corrosive power coated aluminum housing
  • Highly polished reflector
  • Cooling Fan
  • Mounting brackets
The guy Hooked me up with 4x 65W CF Bulb (2-12000K, 2-Actinic Blue) and 4x Dual Bluemoon LED (8 LED Total) all for under $150.00. Thanks for your input and time.

The planted forum has a lot of resources on light level, spectrum, etc.

However, to answer your question:

Your plants won't "see" the actinics, so in effect you would only have 2x65W CF over your tank. This would put you in medium light territory ... not a bad place to start. If you decide to go high light, high tech, you would want to swap out the actinics for plant lights (6700K & up). You can have over 4 WPG over your tank ... but at that level you would need to be injecting CO2 & dosing fertilizers.

Thanks for the info guys and for letting me know in which range I was in. I though I was in the high range and was getting worried that might be frying my little collection of plants.

I have this same light setup over my 75 gal. planted tank. All 4 bulbs are 6700k with timers. One set stays on 12 hrs. The other set come only mid-day, gradual change in brightness . They work pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom