Newbie question - male and female gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schlteacher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere. I've been looking into getting a pearl gourami as something of a centerpiece fish for my aquarium. I was thinking about getting a few of them, one male and two females, but when I called the fish store he said they are too young to tell and you would have to just put them in the tank and see what happens.

So...what if I buy three and they turn out to all be males? It just seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't have two other tanks to put the other two fish in if they would all turn out to be males. Is there some way around this problem that I have missed?

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere. I've been looking into getting a pearl gourami as something of a centerpiece fish for my aquarium. I was thinking about getting a few of them, one male and two females, but when I called the fish store he said they are too young to tell and you would have to just put them in the tank and see what happens.

So...what if I buy three and they turn out to all be males? It just seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't have two other tanks to put the other two fish in if they would all turn out to be males. Is there some way around this problem that I have missed?

When you are attempting to get a certain number of each sex of a fish you usually buy a large group to maximize your chance for males and females. I would say 5 juveniles is a good number if you are attempting to get the two females and a male. From there you can thin out the group to get to where you want to be. I would check with your fish store to see if they will take back any spare fish you have after you get the group you are going for.

Back
Top Bottom