Newbie to using sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filter floss just turned up! Don't think I realised how much there is! This will last me forever!

Attachments

• image-3128723569.jpg
    image-3128723569.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1167404632.jpg
    image-1167404632.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 50
Here it is! Time to rinse!

Attachments

• image-2819861466.jpg
    image-2819861466.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 48
Rinsing all done!

Attachments

• image-3034824528.jpg
    image-3034824528.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 63
Aquatic plants in pots are in rock wool. The plants need to be removed and have the rock wool removed, then plant it in the substrate so the roots can spread, anchor the plant, and absorb nutrients if they are root feeders.

Why would you need to remove the rock wool? The roots leave the rock wool....

Excellent! Pics of tank please!! (When you're finished and happy of course!).

Excellent! Pics of tank please!! (When you're finished and happy of course!).

Will probably be tomorrow;) I want the sand to settle (crystals clear) I kicked some send up and It settled within seconds, why people moan about the grain I have no idea!

So it's done, start to finish! I love the results, don't think I'd ever go back to using gravel!

Before

image-3031092161.jpg

After

image-3227147971.jpg

Attachments

• image-3246134663.jpg
    image-3246134663.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3011299236.jpg
    image-3011299236.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 63
Looks fantastic! Really pleased for you!

I'm just setting my second tank up and I'm going to use arena Milano , basically fine light (not white) sand, I'm quite looking forward to it now I've seen your before and after pics ,

I'm just setting my second tank up and I'm going to use arena Milano , basically fine light (not white) sand, I'm quite looking forward to it now I've seen your before and after pics ,

Looks so much nicer! I'd never go back to gravel! Feel free to keep us posted in this thread!

Dumb question ... Does it have to be silica sand ? Arena Milano is regular sand . I'm going to try to get some play sand today , lord knows where from ! Ah to have an Argos at hand lol...

Dumb question ... Does it have to be silica sand ? Arena Milano is regular sand . I'm going to try to get some play sand today , lord knows where from ! Ah to have an Argos at hand lol...

I didnt use silica sand! Just normal play sand! Mine was from Argos £2.99 for 15Kg

Cheers , I think it might have to be pool sand at least I know I can get that nearly anywhere, bloody useless over here ! Thanks :)

Cheers , I think it might have to be pool sand at least I know I can get that nearly anywhere, bloody useless over here ! Thanks :)

Do you have a supermarket superstore anywhere near by? They tend to stock play sand now since its so hot people want sand pits. I got mine at the big sainsbury's near me. Just a thought.

I live in Tenerife,, surrounded by sand lol.. Just the wrong sort ! No the supermarkets don't sell anything like that, there's a swimming pool place near us I might just pop in there later to get some, roughly how long did it take to clean properly ? And how much would I need in a 80 litre ?

I live in Tenerife,, surrounded by sand lol.. Just the wrong sort ! No the supermarkets don't sell anything like that, there's a swimming pool place near us I might just pop in there later to get some, roughly how long did it take to clean properly ? And how much would I need in a 80 litre ?

Ohh nice! Parent just returned from fuerterventura! Get "Pool filter sand" it's a bit more expensive but does the job! Play sand took me about an hour but pool filter sand shouldn't be as long it's generally cleaner! I'd say about 15kg but depends how deep you want it etc I used 15 and was fine!

Back
Top Bottom