Newbie to using sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacobThomson

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm either getting a new tank or ill be changing my substrate in my existing tank to sand! So I've seen people recommend swimming pool filter sand so I've done some looking! I've found this... Do you experts think this is okay? Thanks

Attachments

• image-1444963305.jpg
    image-1444963305.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 119
I got play sand at Home Depot for like 3$ for a 50 lbs. looks good just make sure you wash it out and it will get pretty cloudy at first but it will settle.

I got play sand at Home Depot for like 3$ for a 50 lbs. looks good just make sure you wash it out and it will get pretty cloudy at first but it will settle.

I was going to use play sand but apparently it's not as good? Gets I to filter, hard to clean, clouds its kicked up etc, have any pics of yours?

Ya on my profile (not the best pic of the sand). But I haven't had it cloud up that much when I clean it, I stir it up and use a gravel vac.

Really? I read somewhere that it was bad for them. Why shouldn't you put the pots in?

I have been wanting to toy around with using pots instead of substrate.

So home depot sand does in fact work fine?

Really? I read somewhere that it was bad for them. Why shouldn't you put the pots in?

Aquatic plants in pots are in rock wool. The plants need to be removed and have the rock wool removed, then plant it in the substrate so the roots can spread, anchor the plant, and absorb nutrients if they are root feeders.

Aquatic plants can be placed in proper aquarium safe pots in a suitable substrate if desired.

Try pool filter sand. It's a larger grain, heavy sand. It does not cloud. I gravel vac mine as well as use heavy filtration, powerheads and wave makers. Never had an issue. It's also very inexpensive- about $10 for a 50lb bag.

Try pool filter sand. It's a larger grain, heavy sand. It does not cloud. I gravel vac mine as well as use heavy filtration, powerheads and wave makers. Never had an issue. It's also very inexpensive- about $10 for a 50lb bag.

I'm from the UK I can't fine it cheap anywhere:/ it's about £20 for 15kg

I've used play sand in mine. No clouding what so ever, obviously once initial dust settled! £3 for a big bag at Argos or sainsbury's or ... Well pretty much anywhere. Mines from sainsbury's. 1 bag did my tank quite nicely. it does get moved by the filter a little in the front left corner, but I push it back into place every few days. Just make sure to break up the flow with a few plants/ornaments etc.

Attachments

• image-771255974.jpg
    image-771255974.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 103
I've used play sand in mine. No clouding what so ever, obviously once initial dust settled! £3 for a big bag at Argos or sainsbury's or ... Well pretty much anywhere. Mines from sainsbury's. 1 bag did my tank quite nicely. it does get moved by the filter a little in the front left corner, but I push it back into place every few days. Just make sure to break up the flow with a few plants/ornaments etc.

Looks great, that's just regular play sand? Dam I was at sainsburys today, didnt even think to look:(

Seen as your from the UK too figured we could relate, not many people on here from UK! I want some rocks/drift wood too, any idea?

Back
Top Bottom