newit was left runnig for a fortnightby!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casouth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there, my first post so here goes...my daughter wanted to have fish for her chosen pet so we agreed...I have been the one to set it up and ultimately have to maintain it as shes only 8! anyway the tank we went for is a 40l tank and was left running for a fortnight before introducing 2 bog standard goldfish. the internal filter appears to be now struggling with the waste and the water has become bitty... the water was tested by our local aquatic centre and just shows signs of "newtank" with traces of amonia and nitrates and the ph was7.6 and was reccommended to do a wee water change. I did so and the fish seem okay but on occasions look lethargic but okay again.... I was wondering as its only a sponge filter and will take time to settle (is that cycling) for the good bacteria to get up to speed, or is te filter just not up to the job? it came with the tank so assumed it would be okay...anyway from the little research i've done external filters seem far superior... would you guys think thats the way to go?? if so which one?? ive seen so far 'fluval 106' or tertratec 600' seem to be the smallest for the 40l tank....any help would be appreciated thanks!!:)

greetings.

unfortunately no gold fish can thrive in a 40L aquarium, they grow to become very big and have a very large bioload which you have encountered by now, that can probably be solved by an external filter as you suggested but it's not going to work out long-term, down the road a larger tank is needed to maintain a proper environment for the fish.

did the aquarium store sell you any bacterial culture starters/aiders or aquarium start products? if not then there will be very little bacteria for a long period of time and you sould change water daily if the fish are going to survive. NO2/NO3 and ammonia builds up from fish food and waste, if there is no bacterial culture to take care of it yet the only way to deal with it is change water often.

hi thanks for your reply, I went to our local aquatic centre a week earlier and purchased start up, a live bacteria to indroduce and was in a week before we got the fish...I wasn't made aware that the two goldfish would eventually outgrow our tank...sadly we don't have the room to get a bigger tank. The two seem to have stettled in a week later...I have however had to do water changes every other day due to waste. I have been researching external filters but seem to be all too "overkill" for the size of our tank. By the way what breed of fish are suited to the 40l tank?...we have friends who have goldfish and they haven't encounted any problems thus far... how big would you estimate they'll grow to???
I am however still struggling to find an appropriate filter to invest in, so do i continue to do a couple of changes a week to keep up?? I haven't got tests as our aquatic centre did it for me for a small fee, I plan to go again on wednesday to double check... oh my days and I thought this would be easy!! it maybe my daughters tank, but has become my mission to keep them healthy and happy!!...oh last thing when they do get to a certain size other than a bigger rank what am I to do?? grateful for your reply...:)

casouth said:
hi thanks for your reply, I went to our local aquatic centre a week earlier and purchased start up, a live bacteria to indroduce and was in a week before we got the fish...I wasn't made aware that the two goldfish would eventually outgrow our tank...sadly we don't have the room to get a bigger tank. The two seem to have stettled in a week later...I have however had to do water changes every other day due to waste. I have been researching external filters but seem to be all too "overkill" for the size of our tank. By the way what breed of fish are suited to the 40l tank?...we have friends who have goldfish and they haven't encounted any problems thus far... how big would you estimate they'll grow to???
I am however still struggling to find an appropriate filter to invest in, so do i continue to do a couple of changes a week to keep up?? I haven't got tests as our aquatic centre did it for me for a small fee, I plan to go again on wednesday to double check... oh my days and I thought this would be easy!! it maybe my daughters tank, but has become my mission to keep them healthy and happy!!...oh last thing when they do get to a certain size other than a bigger rank what am I to do?? grateful for your reply...:)

You could rehome them to somebody with a pond or sell them as for their size it all depends anywhere from 8" and up and live for many years under the right conditions

Welcome to AA!!!! Unfortunately, 40l is only a 10g tank. This honestly is too small for any goldfish. I am not sure what you mean by 'bog standard goldfish'? Are they singletailed orange colored goldfish? If so, they are commons and realistically belong in a pond. They have the potential to grow huge with proper care and adequate water (12-18inches) and live 20-40years. If they are not, can you please describe them?

Water changes (frequent) are going to be your saving grace here. Ammonia and nitrite levels will climb very quickly with messy fish in a small tank. It may not ever properly cycle due to the huge bioload (ammonia) that these fish produce or it may very difficult to keep cycled if it does. Adding another filter will increase the area for bacteria to grow on but it will not eliminate your ammonia issues and how quickly the tank becomes dirty. Lots and lots of water changes! Below is the fish-in cycling link as well as a goldfish care link- please ask any questions you may have! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

hi, sorry for the tardy reply!!!
yes I purchased the bacteria boost, and continue to do water changes every other day to try and keep up with the waste so ...I returned to the aquatic centre while it was quiet and asked why were we sold goldfish knowing we had such a small tank etc etc, he replied each member of staff should ask such questions blah blah but clearly this wasn't the case here.He did go on to say with me making frequent water changes to reduce the toxins levels I will also be reducing the feremone levels ( which in a small tank is the reason th growth is stunted) so by diluting them it will encourage their growth ) is this correct? it kinda makes sense.....anyway long story short..I am on the look out for an external filter but in the mean time doing water changes with tap safe and rinsing the filter sponge each week. I only feed them once a day and not too much.
My neighbour has agreed to adopt them in the summer and or at least 4" long to survive.( I refuse to return them back to the shop as they'll only be sold to someone else who did'nt do research!!) He has maintained his pond for 11 years and ita a well mainained pond, my daughter was initially very upset but now knowing its only next door but one away and she'll have visitation rights shes okay with it!. I just hope in the meantime I can keep them alive and well and hope to get a superior filter very soon.!...so lesson learnt today is that if only we asked "are these appropriate" w ewouldn't be in this pickle now!!! It was recommended that after we re-home bubbles and crystal we are to install the heater as we would have a larger selection of more appropriate fish to choose from.... so watch this space and thanks for your replies!!!

Back
Top Bottom