Newly in love with plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I have a confession to make: I LOVE PLECOS! I used to hate them, and thought they were the ugliest fish around. After reading several posts here, along with Jchillin's bristlenose profile, I think some are pretty cool. ...so much so that I found myself unable to resist the urge of plunking down more money than I ever thought I would on a gold nugget pleco at my lfs yesterday. It is such a cool looking fish! I'll post some pics soon if people are interested. So, anyone else have these? There is some pretty good info at planetcatfish.com, but I would love to get some personal experience if anyone else has these.

My only comment is they are rather finnicky about shifting water params. They do best in very well established tanks. I wish you success with yours. They are great looking fish. :wink:

GN's are cute and I agree with Brians advice about the finicky water. We had one die about 24 hours after purchase. Our tank had high Nitrates (about 80 ppm) and was told thats why it died.

bosk1 said:
After reading several posts here, along with Jchillin's bristlenose profile, I think some are pretty cool. ...so much so that I found myself unable to resist the urge of plunking down more money than I ever thought I would on a gold nugget pleco at my lfs yesterday.

That one sentence makes providing profiles for the members worthwhile. Enjoy. :)

I have a gold nugget pleco too and if I remember correctly for me it was JC's profile and pics that got me started with pleco's. I now have 4 non common plecos and one common pleco. I am NOT addicted! JC you are assimilating us one by one.

Zagz said:
I have a gold nugget pleco too and if I remember correctly for me it was JC's profile and pics that got me started with pleco's. I now have 4 non common plecos and one common pleco. I am NOT addicted! JC you are assimilating us one by one.

Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated. ROFL!!!

....Look at the pic....look at the pic...

dec292005001.jpg

Bill knows how to take excellent shots of plecos! I usually get a slight glimpse of it and the pic is blurry.

I have been assimilated! And somehow seem to have been recruited to assimilate others. LOL resistance is futile. I'm proof!

since were in some topic of pictures here is good knowledge for future taking pictures.
digital or film cameras have a lense that does not include macro. macro is a closeup lense that allows for up to 1/4 inch of distance shots. the lack of this makes ones lense/camera to be around 2 to 3 feet of distance from subject depending on type of lense, fstop, shutterspeed and mm of lense, mm of the lense is simply the size and focal point of that particular lense, fstop is the number giving to the exposure iris and shutterspeed is the speed/timing of the iris. the common blurry pictures (lack of keeping in focus problem) is do to either to close to subject or auto camera hasnt pin pointed the correct distance to focus correctly, this can be adjusted to either step back, wait tell camera got the focus or place on manual to manually adjust the focus yourself if camera has this option. for the motion blur this is corrected in two ways, one the obvious stand still and the second that corrects everything even if you stand still or not is the shutter speed. the shutter speed again is the timer/speed of the iris in the camera, in other words open and closing of iris to let light into the chip or film to expose it and it works like the human eye iris that open when in the dark and closes when in bright light. this shutter speed if taking moving object or if your not to steady need to be set in a high shutter speed to make the iris open as quicly as possible thus make only one fast frame captured without leading to motion blur from the cause of having the iris open to long. shutter speed numbers are from normal 1/300th of a second to 1000 of a second, lower number meaning iris will stay open longer for more detail exposur great for astronomy shots or city streaking lights even night shots but can only be obtain on tripod or very very steady hands if at all. higher speed shutter speeds are for auto racing pictures or any other fast speeds lots of motion and stopping that motion creating a one stop frame at fully detail but needs more light picture. fstop numbers come from 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.6 7.0 8.0 16 22 33 etc this has somewhat to do with the amount of focus and in combine with shutter speed and the distance of subject, amount of light will finalize and the creation of one frame or in motion pictures as many frames as technology limites. hope this helps any question ask and sorry about the back and lack of good writing.

plecos rock! as a non-addict--i only have 29 myself (and i CAN stop anytime)--i can thoroughly endorse the addition of plecos to any tank! i too used to think they were the most hideous things on earth, but i have now been assimilated. trust me, you will understand. do not resist. resistance is futile.

Back
Top Bottom