Newly released substrate ADA - Amazonia Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone use this yet?

This soil has been offered to me as a replacement for a bad bag of Amazonia that smelled mouldy. It is SO new of an item, I haven't found much for experiences from people yet!

Anyone use this.

It is supposed to not leech ammonia like Amazonia. Easy enough for newbies to to use!

Trying to decide, if I take this option I will not be able to get a refund in the future for it becasue of the replacement now, that is their "rule".

Any thoughts? It is $40 investment into the tank build.

I am tending towards just being one of the first on the block to get and use this, since there aren't any user reviews on Amazon for it yet, even.

Would like to get this in my tank very soon, not as much pressure now that it isn't the ammonia leeching type substrate, they say.

NATURE AQUARIUM NOTES#12 Features of Amazonia Light | ADA - AQUA JOURNAL

Last edited:
I say go for it. No ammonia leaching, lowers the pH, still grows plants well, and lighter in color.
Be the first one on the block!

The pictorial of plant growth from the company was pretty awesome. Thanks for the nudge.

I am feeling like a stick stuck in the mud It was a stretch for me to buy that as I usually just get things used. Even substrate from a great shrimp keeper I got my Tangerine Tigers from. :)

As a sidenote, if anyone wants to follow along after we all decide here which substrate to go with, this will be the new tank build thread, only just started it, didn't get to too much detail just yet
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-shrimp-adventure-prl-355165.html#post3414630

Amazonia Light in testing/Experience with it

Received the Amazonia Light and decided to keep it.

After soaking for 3 days it had .50 Ammonia Was flushed with bathtub moderately running water to rinse well for at least 5 min and gently lifted to get it mixed.
After a 6 days it has a reading of .50 Ammonia

Here are some pics

60074-albums13946-picture70944.jpg

Amazonia Color Blacker pellets - Amazonia Light Color lighter one
60074-albums13946-picture70937.jpg

Size of pellets next to a USA quarter [0.955 inches / 24.26 mm]
60074-albums13946-picture70946.jpg

After sitting for a few days in the bucket
60074-albums13946-picture70939.jpg

Tested after the few days of initially sitting, no bubbler or stirring.
60074-albums13946-picture70938.jpg

After being rinsed and sitting five more days, it is a little darker but right around the .50 or a little more but not the next color.

Rinsing again in the tub for around 5 min. gently lifting the substrate up to mix/rinse.

It is a little firm when dry pellets like the pictures, but pretty easily mushed to a bit of silty mud when pressed between the fingers.

Last edited:
Mushed between fingers. High cec then? I sure like the color.

Long time now but ...

Today, after 4 more months of it sitting in the bucket (oops I was in a hurry and forgot to test it) I rinsed it further with about 3 1/2 buckets of water doing fill, drain and repeat. After rinsing 0 ammonia.
I will check it tomorrow after sitting for another day. It needs to go in a tank so I hope it is done with the ammonia.

Side note - I put it into the tank so tomorrow I will fill it up and monitor. If anyone is wanting to know. Very cloudy atm, but just in tank covered with a couple inches of water, not using a filter to clear yet.

I used the most but scooped the last couple cups up into a seperate cup to save for something but not *** the siltier par into the tank. It held to gether pretty well btw.

Back
Top Bottom