Newly set up 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my semi aggressive. I'm still waiting on a few fish at the pet store to arrive, and my stock is not set in stone, I'm playing it by ear, but so far everyone gets along and is happy.

I have two baby angels that will eventually move to this tank when they get bigger and can hold their own, in the mean time they are enjoying my community 15g.

I'm probably going to rescape the plants, I'm not sure on how to place them, and I need to go buy some root tabs. (Any suggestions?) or even try to make some DIY tabs.... I have a few fake silk plants in there for now until I build up my plant collection, I want this tank to be highly planted so they have good hiding spots. :)

I recently received some plants from a very kind person who gifted them to me. I'll keep you anonymous, but I wanted to thank you publicly. :)

Also this tank wouldn't of happened without another friend of mine gifting a filter. I'll also leave you anonymous ;)

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has supported me in this hobby and given me advice along the way! You guys are so awesome and this forum is great! ;)

Without further ado, here's what it's looking like at the moment.

(Please excuse the water color, my wood is still releasing tannins, but the color hasn't really bothered me so I've left it alone)

Attachments

• image-2050524091.jpg
    image-2050524091.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-231984880.jpg
    image-231984880.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image-369938890.jpg
    image-369938890.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2523763861.jpg
    image-2523763861.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 109
Nice. That sand is so clean looking. If there was poop colored sand, then I'd get that because it won't show, well you know, poop. JK

Tie some of the moss to the DW. As it grows it will cover the DW. Is the java fern lurking in the back. Don't be shy...tie that to the DW as well.

Nice. That sand is so clean looking. If there was poop colored sand, then I'd get that because it won't show, well you know, poop. JK

Tie some of the moss to the DW. As it grows it will cover the DW. Is the java fern lurking in the back. Don't be shy...tie that to the DW as well.

Thanks, I was worried about poop on the sand, but its still looking clean, to my surprise. Yeah I need to the moss to dw but I don't have anything to tie it with, is there a certain string that is safe for aquariums? Yeah I have a little bundle of java fern / java moss that I bought at the LFS. Lol I just haven't had much time to work on my tank, hopefully the next few weeks will quiet down and I can rescape the tank. :)

Thanks, I was worried about poop on the sand, but its still looking clean, to my surprise. Yeah I need to the moss to dw but I don't have anything to tie it with, is there a certain string that is safe for aquariums? Yeah I have a little bundle of java fern / java moss that I bought at the LFS. Lol I just haven't had much time to work on my tank, hopefully the next few weeks will quiet down and I can rescape the tank. :)

I can't remember if cotton was okay or not or but polyester should be fine. It may not dissolve over time like something natural like cotton. If you use string, pick a color that will blend in with the DW.

If you can get a hold of fishing line (thinner the better and nothing neon colored), you could use that to tie down the plants. I assume people fish in MO lol

I can't remember if cotton was okay or not or but polyester should be fine. It may not dissolve over time like something natural like cotton. If you use string, pick a color that will blend in with the DW.

If you can get a hold of fishing line (thinner the better and nothing neon colored), you could use that to tie down the plants. I assume people fish in MO lol

Lol ohhh yes people in Mo fish :). Haha I grew up at the Lake of the Ozarks. I've been fishing since I could hold a pole lol. My dad is huge fisherman. Haha it's weird to admit but I'm a country girl. The sad thing is that I'm in college ( and now live in the city) and still carry a fishing pole, basket, and tackle box in my car everywhere I go. Haha I don't know why I didn't think about using fishing line, good call! :)

Has the tank been cycled yet ? ? If not prepare for a fish die off in that tank without heavy water changes and prime

My tank is cycled, thanks for the concern. :) I used the 'dirty bomb method' (the filter currently on it was previously on my 15g for almost two months- my 15g has always has good parameters) and also use prime (I'm a true believer in it), and weekly water changes. I work at Petsmart and check my parameters daily and they have never gone outside of safe parameters. It's been set up for almost a month now. The fish are thriving and healthy, 2 of my barbs actually came from the store with ich and I didn't catch it till I was home, and within a few days they were clear and healthy and no one else got sick. The only fish I lost was an angel, due to the fact I didn't know that the young ones couldn't be put in a semi agg. and it got eaten.

Ah ok you didn't say it was up for a month... While reading it the "dirty" bomb thing doesn't instantly cycle a tank but then I read you said a month so im like ah ok then yea..

I hate petsmart and petco when it comes to buying fish... They ALWAYS has ich in there tanks.. I petco though is the only store in my area that sells pretty good fish.. I refuse to go to my only local fish store in 2 counties because they are jerks.. Petco had anglefish and some of those cool looking Cichlid rams but grr they all had ich on them... sucks man..

I cant believe an area as populated and rich as mine (northern Virginia has like the top 5 richest counties in the country) has no local fish stores.. I might have to start buying fish online

I cant believe an area as populated and rich as mine (northern Virginia has like the top 5 richest counties in the country) has no local fish stores.. I might have to start buying fish online

I know of one LFS in Centreville (Centreville Aquarium) that will (for the most part) order whatever you are looking for and call you when the shipment arrives. You should call them and see if they get a hold of whatever you are looking for when they go to their supplier.
I've ordered RCS through them. Pretty costly though. I have not purchased fish there except for some comet goldfish a few years back. You could try msjinkzd online. It is only a few hours away in PA so it is not like the fish will be shipped across the country. Especially in this heat we are currently experiencing.

Sorry for hijacking.

I know of one LFS in Centreville (Centreville Aquarium) that will (for the most part) order whatever you are looking for and call you when the shipment arrives. You should call them and see if they get a hold of whatever you are looking for when they go to their supplier.
I've ordered RCS through them. Pretty costly though. I have not purchased fish there except for some comet goldfish a few years back. You could try msjinkzd online. It is only a few hours away in PA so it is not like the fish will be shipped across the country. Especially in this heat we are currently experiencing.

Sorry for hijacking.

Well we have one called creatures and critters but they are a crooked store, with nasty owners I used to shop there since I was a kid.. basically 20 years, but they are getting cocky and they don't care about there customers.. they haggled me over $12 in fish I couldn't believe how the old man acted.. So I reported them to the BBB and FTC.. plus they sell illegal African frogs and I plan to report them for that too...

The other store im starting to go too now is called Pet land in Fairfax... its a chain store like petsmart but there fish section is way better when it comes to live plants... That's where I got most of my plants like red nesease and water sprite and so forth.. There fresh water fish though are lacking.. they sell mostly salt water stuff...

I did go to centervile aquariums twice... they don't have much of a fresh water selection to be honest and they have MEH plants... Not worth the 45m drive for me. I called them and asked if they had nerite snails and they said they did.. I showed up and they had none and 2 were floating and dead... Pissed me off

Any update on the 29? Not sure about MO but the weather is much better here so I might do a shipment early next week.

Any update on the 29? Not sure about MO but the weather is much better here so I might do a shipment early next week.

Sorry for being mia I've been pretty bombarded with school and work, but I'm hoping work will calm down. I asked for only 20 hours a week after school started, but lately I've been working 27+ hours, which gets a little hairy. But I talked to her today and she said she would try to keep me down to 20. Don't get me wrong I love my job and am thankful for hours cuz I need them, but it almost felt like I was sinking lol.

I need to do a water change on my tanks but I let my boss borrow my gravel vac so I hope she returns it tomorrow... :/

The weather is soo much better lol. It's been low 80s all week for highs. And rain, gosh do I love rain. :) I wish I could enjoy this awesome weather, fall is my favorite season. :)

Sorry for being mia I've been pretty bombarded with school and work, but I'm hoping work will calm down. I asked for only 20 hours a week after school started, but lately I've been working 27+ hours, which gets a little hairy. But I talked to her today and she said she would try to keep me down to 20. Don't get me wrong I love my job and am thankful for hours cuz I need them, but it almost felt like I was sinking lol.

I need to do a water change on my tanks but I let my boss borrow my gravel vac so I hope she returns it tomorrow... :/

The weather is soo much better lol. It's been low 80s all week for highs. And rain, gosh do I love rain. :) I wish I could enjoy this awesome weather, fall is my favorite season. :)

I hope you disinfect you gravel vacuum with bleach before you put that in your tank... that's a good way to transfer parasites over to your tank... and IMO i'd tell my boss who makes 2-3x more money then me to go buy his/her own gravel vacuum for $10 at petsmart.. lol

I stick api root tabs in my sand. And just tried my best wrapping my moss around my DW. Seems to work. Nice tank btw!

Thanks! I don't work Friday so after school hoping to be able to get some work done. :)

Back
Top Bottom