newts and mudskippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know if it is possible to keep a newt or a mudskipper in a fully aquatic tank with no land? I thought that mudskippers needed land to go on, but I emailed an aquarium store in my area, one of the largest, and they said i could put newts or mudskippers possibly.

newts don't have to have any land but it is recommended. I've had one for 23 yrs (That is correct, 23 yrs!!) and he spends about 99% of its time underwater. It has land to come onto but never does, he just comes up for air every 1/2 hr or so. When you have more water, they will swim around more but will sometimes get aggitated trying to swim up for air. it is best to have some rocks near the edges or glass so the newt can stand on its hnd legs and tail and reach the surface. If they have that to breath they will be VERY happy!!

Hope that helps.. Sorry, don't know anything about the mudskippers...

That same newt actually disappeared for about 8 days about 10 yrs ago and we thought it was dead or got out of the tank. We then cleaned the tank and found him under the UNDERGRAVEL filter!! Not sure if they can "hibernate" or something but he had little to no air for days!!! Anyone heard of this happening??

23 years??????????
*Bows down in reverence*
That's amazing, all i can say..........

I would imagine that they do hibernate. Frogs will burrow into the mud under the water and stay there all winter. Salamanders will hibernate in decaying logs. They can also absorb some oxygen through their skin, even if they're not hibernating. Kudos to you for keeping him (or her?) happy and healthy for so long!

are these those things the kinda look like salamanders? they had something like that a while back in a pet shoppe and refered to it as a mud puppy. haven't seen one since

Newts and mudskippers would not make good tank companions for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that the mudskippers are barckish fish, and salt in the water would kill the newts.

yup, 23 years and he is still alive!! I found out the guiness book of world records oldest newt is 23 or 24 years. Too bad I can't really proove it, either way, I'll keep my pride for having him so long... I got him when I was 4 years old and I'm 27 now... It was ful grown when we got it also so I imagine it was at least 6 months old then!!

Pufferpunk: It is a good old (literally!) firebelly next...

I would like to get an aquarium just for a Mud Skipper. I have been doing some research on them lately and I don't think they would live long as a full time water fish. I read in several places that they actually spend about 95% of the time out of the water. Many sites claimed you actually don't need much water for the Mud Skipper, but you need more land, logs, etc.

Yes they are also reffered to as Mud Puppy's.

Anyone know how big they can get? I wonder if a 29 gallon tank would be suffice room for one or two of these things.

Mudfrog said:
I would like to get an aquarium just for a Mud Skipper.

Sorry, no....mudskippers are brackish water fish from Africa/Asia, mudpuppies are a North American Caudate (amphibian) from the genus Necturus....very different beasties.

Thats good to know. I was going off of information on some websites that I read, they listed several common names for the Mud Skippers and Mud Puppy's was one of them. Maybe it applies to two different fish?

Mudfrog said:
I would like to get an aquarium just for a Mud Skipper. I have been doing some research on them lately and I don't think they would live long as a full time water fish. I read in several places that they actually spend about 95% of the time out of the water. Many sites claimed you actually don't need much water for the Mud Skipper, but you need more land, logs, etc.

Anyone know how big they can get? I wonder if a 29 gallon tank would be suffice room for one or two of these things.

Mudskippers are not referred to as mud puppies, mud puppies are a species of salamander.

Mudskippers although don't spend alot of time in the water require large aquaria for long term health. At least a 90 gallon tank that is wider than it is tall. Each individual will need about 1' of territory and 10 gallons of water. They also need to be kept in groups of 5 or more or they can get "lonely" and their activity and health diminishes. They're extremely community based animals and have obvious levels of hierchy from the alpha male down. They also need marine salt in their water, NOT aquarium salt. Mudskippers are not for beginners, however if kept properly they can be one of the friendliest and most rewarding species to keep. Custom tanks are pretty much what you'd need to successfully keep mudskippers as long/wide under 100 gallon tanks are hard to come by. Sorry but a 29 gallon would not be enough for a group of mudskippers. 2 will only result in alot of aggression and territorial defence, ending in the death of one of your mudskippers.

Back
Top Bottom