Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richi106

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there

My ph is. 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40-60ppm

Are my nitrate levels too high?? I have lost 2 tiger barbs and one zebra Danio in the last month and was wondering if this could be
Why?

Thanks!!!

Also some of the fish keep rubbing themselves
On leaves and driftwood.
Any idea what could cause this? And how to fix it?

Thanks.

Yes that is a high reading. In the same situation I did large (40% +) water changes daily to get it down.
It is toxic to fishes- but more so if they are exposed to it for a prolonged period. It could be the direct cause of their rubbing, or it could be an indirect cause- by making them susceptible to disease.

Chances are if you keep changing the water in large amounts and use a good conditioner like prime, they'll start behaving normally again.

Good luck!

Nitrate Levels

Hi there

My ph is. 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40-60ppm

Are my nitrate levels too high?? I have lost 2 tiger barbs and one zebra Danio in the last month and was wondering if this could be
Why?

Thanks!!!

Hello Rich...

Your nitrate level isn't out of control. Ideally, you want it a bit lower. If the tank was mine, I'd start removing and replacing at least a third of the tank water every week, half the water is better and introduce some stem plants, like Anacharis and Pennywort. I've found these to be a big help in keeping the water a bit cleaner and the fish a little more comfortable in the tank.

I also like to use a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my replacement water in my planted tanks. I really think it improves the general health of the fish, but that's entirely my preference.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Rich...

Your nitrate level isn't out of control. Ideally, you want it a bit lower. If the tank was mine, I'd start removing and replacing at least a third of the tank water every week, half the water is better and introduce some stem plants, like Anacharis and Pennywort. I've found these to be a big help in keeping the water a bit cleaner and the fish a little more comfortable in the tank.

I also like to use a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my replacement water in my planted tanks. I really think it improves the general health of the fish, but that's entirely my preference.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

Hey mate. I change 20% of the water each week and add aquarium salt.
Al up it to 30% and hopefully this works.

Thanks for the help:)

My water reads about 40ppm of Nitrate at the moment, and it has been like that since I started my first tank well over two years ago; no matter what I did and how much water I changed, I always ended up with that number-- I think it has something to do with water in my tap.
Having said that, my fishes are very happy in the tank, and so are shrimps (which apparently are very delicate) and snails. My Guppies and Mollies breed like crazy, and plants love it too...
So I just gave up fighting with Nitrates and just enjoy watching my friends :)

Hygrophilia Difformis is a great Nitrate absorbing plant. Easy to grow with med light and simple ferts. I have 14 stems in my overstocked 29g and I still can't get my Nitrates above 5 ppm. I'm trying to dose nitrate fert to get up to 10ppm for my advanced plants and am up to double doses and still not there yet. It is a pleasing light green color also.
OS.

Hey. Thanks for information on last questions.

I have managed to get the nitrates down, but sometimes when I you's my API test kit there
Is a slight tint in ammonia.
I tested my tap water
And it has 1 to 2 ppm of ammonia after I've added prime and water conditioner.
Is this ok to put into aquarium??
I am pretty confused I thought the water going into the aquarium would have to me ammonia free:/

Thanks again!

Sometimes tap water will have ammonia and other "stuff" in it that's why you use something like Prime to help reduce the effects of impurities in your tap water.

Also salt isn't needed at all... Unless your running a brackish or saltwater tank. The only time I've used salt is when I'm treating for a parasite or something like ich. IMO adding salt and adding it at water changes is a waste of money. Again this is just my opinion.

And it has 1 to 2 ppm of ammonia after I've added prime and water conditioner.
Is this ok to put into aquarium??
I am pretty confused I thought the water going into the aquarium would have to me ammonia free
You are getting a false positive. The ammonia going into the tank is detoxified and will remain so for 24 hours, giving your biological filter enough time to remove it. Since your tap has up to 2 ppm of ammonia, I would use a double dose of Prime. By the way, Prime is your water conditioner. You should not be adding any other type of conditioner.

David

Hey. When I do a water change I add
Salt
Kh buffer
Prime
Water
Conditioner

This is what the LFS told me.
Will this do the fish any harm or is it just a waste
Of money??
Thanks!

Hey. When I do a water change I add
Salt
Kh buffer
Prime
Water
Conditioner

This is what the LFS told me.
Will this do the fish any harm or is it just a waste
Of money??
Thanks!

I just don't understand all this. I do a water change and add Prime and then relax and enjoy my fish. I don't add anything else. I think the more chemicals you add the more you foul up the water. Then you have to test for things and re add them at each water change. What is your stock again?

Like about stated. Prime IS your conditioner, why the salt and KH buffer. I haven't used KH buffer since... Well.... Never....

I just don't understand all this. I do a water change and add Prime and then relax and enjoy my fish. I don't add anything else. I think the more chemicals you add the more you foul up the water. Then you have to test for things and re add them at each water change. What is your stock again?

Like about stated. Prime IS your conditioner, why the salt and KH buffer. I haven't used KH buffer since... Well.... Never....

I agree. I just use prime and chill out, I've found that the more chemicals I add to the tank to try and correct things, the more things went wrong. Most tropical fish do not need salt added, there's enough salts in our tap, most of our tank raised specimens actually do best without it. The only reason you should be using Kh buffer is if you have really soft water or are using RO water. Also prime is a water conditioner so using two is just wasting money.

Ok. Sounds good to me.

My understanding was kh and dh had to be between 3 and 6 depending on fish you keep. That's why I add kh and salt??

As for prime and and water conditioner it does
Sound like am wasting money.

My stock is 2 brittlenose
2 krebenisis
7 tiger barbs
2 giant Danio.
Trumpet snails

My tank is 25 gallon.

It is a new 620 aquaone and I am using the standard filter.

If I bought a canister filter would this help??

My tank is 25 gallon.

It is a new 620 aquaone and I am using the standard filter.

If I bought a canister filter would this help??

It would certainly help- especially with a good amount of biomedia in it. If it doesn't help enough, then you'll have to increase the volume or frequency of pwc.

Back
Top Bottom