nitrate and nitrite test nessasary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the prosess of setting up my first fish tank. Its a 20 gallon and i already have ph and ammonia tests. But nitrate and nitrite tests are expensive around here. So heres my question, If I plan to use the product cycle once a week (witch releases massive amounts of bacteria) , in a twenty gallon, With 25 percent water changes every week, Will the nitrite and nitrate tests be absolutely nessasary? Otherwise i will have to wait a long time until I can afford to start the tank.

thanks in advance,
-tyrel-

I think they are. It is very helpful to have those to monitor where you are at in the cycle and later on just to make sure everything is balanced. If you cant afford both right this minute, see if you can just swing the nitrite kit. And then still set everything up and start a fishless cycle. You can also get a test kit that has everything in it like this... http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=2255

During the cycle, parameters will constantly rise. As you know, these toxins if left unchecked can be fatal to fish.

Although you are using cycle, it will take just as long to cycle the tank as if you didn't use it. You will still have flucuating parameters that you need to test for.

HTH.

Im planning to use the cycle for a few weeks before any fish ever enter the tank. Will this eliminate the fluctation factor?

Edit: by using the cycle before fish enter, I hope to cycle the tank and avoid fluctuations while the fish are living in there.

Thanks for the quick replys!

Yeah, I would definitely say that they are both necessary. I agree with Meredith in that if you can't afford both right away, at least get a Nitrite test for now. Nitrites are toxic to fish you really need to monitor the levels closely. Nitrates can also be toxic if it's high enough, but it takes a little while for it to get that high.

Enjoy your new fish tank... I'm a newbie to fish keeping as well and I'm already addicted!! :)

- Mandy

I would also agree that these tests are very necessary. As mentioned earlier you can order kits online at bigals. I love my test kits and rely on them a great deal.

tyrel said:
Im planning to use the cycle for a few weeks before any fish ever enter the tank. Will this eliminate the fluctation factor?

Edit: by using the cycle before fish enter, I hope to cycle the tank and avoid fluctuations while the fish are living in there.

Thanks for the quick replys!

What will you use for an ammonia source absent the fish? You will still need the nitrate and nitrite test to make sure the tank is cycled.

Sorry to say, there really is no way around it.

Any product you can buy that has the name cycle in it, or claims to cycle the tank for you, is misleading you. The only exception is Bio-spira. You can not grow the bacteria needed for ammonia metabolism without an ammonia source. If you use fish as an ammonia source and use too many, you could end up with ammonia and nitrite levels that hurt your fish. If you use cleaner ammonia, it will take perhaps 4 to 6 weeks to grow the bacteria so you can add fish. If you use bio-spira and add fish, it may go ok or it may not.

Check out the articles section on AA. The "cycle" is really a period when beneficial bacteria grow because there is an ammonia source. Read the articles, it will make sense to you then.

Oh, welcome to AA! Yes the tests are necessary. They are a lot cheaper online at Bigal's or petsolutions.

Back
Top Bottom