Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nitrate in tap water

I think i know the answers to my own question ( sorry that sounds arrogant which i am truly not trying to be just done alot of research but any extra information from more experienced keepers would be great) but here goes. My tap waters nitrate level in the uk is coming out at 40ppm before I start!! I know I can get Distilled water and ads nutrients, use nitrazorb, and use plants all to help reduce this but anyone got any other ideas to help with the tap water as don't always have access to a aquatics shop! Water changes are meant to be the best way to reduce nitrate and I feel that due to the high levels i start with I am fighting a losing battle!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok ordered some amazon frogbit unless anyone thinks this is bad idea lets me know its the best I could come up with

Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #3

40 ppm is nothing and will not affect your fish in anyway

I also live in the UK and have never had any problems even with the most sensitive fish

Just use a good tap water conditioner like seachem prime

Don't bother buying water from the shop it's a waste of money if you want pure water then buy you own RO unit
Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cheers thanks for that! Put my mind at ease I know It is not that high just I think we all aspire to keep any pollutants down to minimum and felt i was starting with a lose but knowing others face the same issues and are fine makes me feel better cheers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com