Nitrate in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robertalsett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think i know the answers to my own question ( sorry that sounds arrogant which i am truly not trying to be just done alot of research but any extra information from more experienced keepers would be great) but here goes. My tap waters nitrate level in the uk is coming out at 40ppm before I start!! I know I can get Distilled water and ads nutrients, use nitrazorb, and use plants all to help reduce this but anyone got any other ideas to help with the tap water as don't always have access to a aquatics shop! Water changes are meant to be the best way to reduce nitrate and I feel that due to the high levels i start with I am fighting a losing battle!

Ok ordered some amazon frogbit unless anyone thinks this is bad idea lets me know its the best I could come up with

40 ppm is nothing and will not affect your fish in anyway

I also live in the UK and have never had any problems even with the most sensitive fish

Just use a good tap water conditioner like seachem prime

Don't bother buying water from the shop it's a waste of money if you want pure water then buy you own RO unit

Cheers thanks for that! Put my mind at ease I know It is not that high just I think we all aspire to keep any pollutants down to minimum and felt i was starting with a lose but knowing others face the same issues and are fine makes me feel better cheers

Back
Top Bottom