Nitrate Levels..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott28

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after taking advice from one of my previous threads, I have ordered the API Master Test Kit, however because it's not arrived yet, I went to my lfs to get a free water test.

My nitrate levels were above 80ppm, so I added a plant and some moss balls, did around a 20% water cycle, left it 24hours and had it re measured today and it was around 60ppm.

What's the advice for lowering? The lfs advised the nitrate levels in my area are probably high, and advised to buy bottled water from my local supermarket as its reasonably cheap.

Hey. How long has your aquarium been set up for? Do you currently have any fish in there? Personally I would go for much larger water changes to et that down. I doubt you tap water has 80ppm nitrates. I thought mine as high at 20ppm. So yea, go for larger water changes is my advice.

matty2085 said:
Hey. How long has your aquarium been set up for? Do you currently have any fish in there? Personally I would go for much larger water changes to et that down. I doubt you tap water has 80ppm nitrates. I thought mine as high at 20ppm. So yea, go for larger water changes is my advice.

Been set up for 5days, 98litre, no fish yet, I plan on testing my tap water as soon as I get the kit. I'll try a larger cycle. Do you think it's worth using bottled water?

Hmm that is high without any fish. Getting bottled water will get v expensive. I would hold out for that API test kit and check your tap water first. Just my thoughts though.

Did the shop use test strips they just dipped in the water? If so, those are notorious for giving incorrect readings.

You have 0 nitrite and ammonia b/c the cycle hasn't started yet; to start the cycle you need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria. Give this a read and decide how you want to cycle (fish in or fishless): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I agree, get the test kit yourself and test the tap water. The nitrate test can show false readings if not done correctly (both bottles need to be shaken and banged on a hard surface for 30 seconds, the tube itself for a full minute then wait 5 minutes for the results; did the LFS worker do this?).

If you just filled the tank though and there's nothing else in there it's quite possible your tap nitrate are that high. Can be a bit tricky to deal with once you get fish but it can be done (e.g. adding lots of nitrate sucking plants like hornwart, doing 2-3 smaller water changes weekly rather than one large one and and adding something lke purigen to your filter can all help with nitrates......although i wouldn't add the purigen until the tank fully cycles, cutting the tap water by adding half tap and half spring or RO water but this can get expensive).

librarygirl said:
You have 0 nitrite and ammonia b/c the cycle hasn't started yet; to start the cycle you need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria. Give this a read and decide how you want to cycle (fish in or fishless): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I agree, get the test kit yourself and test the tap water. The nitrate test can show false readings if not done correctly (both bottles need to be shaken and banged on a hard surface for 30 seconds, the tube itself for a full minute then wait 5 minutes for the results; did the LFS worker do this?).

If you just filled the tank though and there's nothing else in there it's quite possible your tap nitrate are that high. Can be a bit tricky to deal with once you get fish but it can be done (e.g. adding lots of nitrate sucking plants like hornwart, doing 2-3 smaller water changes weekly rather than one large one and and adding something lke purigen to your filter can all help with nitrates......although i wouldn't add the purigen until the tank fully cycles, cutting the tap water by adding half tap and half spring or RO water but this can get expensive).

Thanks for the advice will give that a read.

Nah, I wouldn't say they did it as thoroughly ad that..

I used interpet quick start and filter start which was on the instructions.. I was under the impression this would cycle it?

Don't know about quick start but am pretty sure filter start requires ammonia to be present...it doesn't start the cycle, rather it helps it along.

I don't think adding water from a tank will make any difference. Adding the filter medium or some substrate might speed things along though but the beneficial bacteria on this will need that ammonia. I guess you can find ammonia at a LFS, but to be honest you could always just start adding in some fish food or a dead shrimp to get your cycle started. Let us know what you tap water measures when you get your API kit...will be interested to hear.

Hey, good news, my API master test kit turned up!

I tested my tap water and followed the NitrAte test to the book. (it's like a workout to test)

My NitrAte levels are definitely over 80ppm, annoyingly chart then jumps to 160ppm. Based on colour, i would estimate 100-120ppm, second test was around 80ppm.

This seems crazy high!

Tap Water other tests:
High Range PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm

I assumed ammonia and NitrIte would be 0 or very low.

Good that you got the API. And yea...that is v high. Mines comes out of the tap at 20ppm. Did you say this was going to be a planted tank? Hopefully the plants will suck some of those nitrates up. Good that ammonia and nitrites are 0 out of the tap.

Well I've got normal gravel down, though wishing I did substrate. I plan on adding plants in there.. Thinking of some floating plants. Will Prime reduce NitrAte levels a decent amount?

Check out the seachem website re prime and its effects on nitrates and nitrites. I don't know enough about nitrate reducing chems to be able to advise as I don't use them. You could always consider some plants that don't require substrate such as anubias or java fern that attach directly to driftwood or rocks. I sure someone else can advise on the use of prime etc though.

Those nitrates are crazy!

My Tap water is 10.0 ppm and my 29 gallon planted tank was fully cycled using pure ammonia drops to raise the ammonia to 5.0 ppm on the first day. All in all it took 3 weeks before I added a Betta fish.

My 7-8 plants do reduce the accumulated nitrates(from the fish poop) AND the base 10.0ppm nitrates to a very pale reading. I doubt even a heavily planted tank could safely reduce 80.0ppm nitrates plus all the fish waste, who knows though. I do a weekly 30% water change for good measure, which technically raises my nitrates a bit due to the tap reading. It dilutes other toxins in the water the way I see it.

Can you find a new water source? Maybe delivery mineral water or a neighbor's well system or reverse-osmosis system? I am no expert and I am not sure if those types of water are recommended for fish tanks, but 80.0 nitrates sounds very problematic! I would search for an alternative rather than deal with the constant battle against toxic nitrate levels.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom