Nitrate levels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I confess that I have gotten complacent with my twenty gallon tank. It is stable and has been puttering along with healthy, happy fish.
Because of issues I’ve missed a couple of cleanings this winter and haven’t been testing as often as I should.
I did a twenty percent winter change yesterday and tested my water for the first time in a month and everything was good but the nitrate levels which were between forty and eighty.
Today I did another twenty percent change and now it’s between twenty and forty, judging from the color.
My question is. Is a nitrate around forty safe? I’ve always been around twenty before.

Ok thanks. I’ll probably do another water change in a couple of days and check it again.

Sounds like you could do a 40-50% water change weekly and it would keep the nitrates below or at 40 ppm by the next water change.

Thanks. Because my tank has been so stable I’ve been lazy this winter. Time to step up my aquarium care.

Hello wen...

Small water changes do little to maintain a steady water chemistry. Gradually work up to the point you change out half every week. If you do this, you can omit completely or perform several maintenance tasks much less often. For example, you won't need to test the tank water. This more aggressive water change routine will guarantee a steady, healthy water chemistry. You won't need to service your filter system as often, because it will just be filtering water that's already clean. You won't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic matter that collects on the bottom, dissolves in the water. By removing the water, you'll remove most of the dissolved toxins and what's left after the water change is diluted to a safe level in the new, treated tap water.

B

Update. I have gotten my nitrates under control I am doing 40% water changes weekly and no the nitrates are stable at between 10 and twenty..

Nitrates

I confess that I have gotten complacent with my twenty gallon tank. It is stable and has been puttering along with healthy, happy fish.
Because of issues I’ve missed a couple of cleanings this winter and haven’t been testing as often as I should.
I did a twenty percent winter change yesterday and tested my water for the first time in a month and everything was good but the nitrate levels which were between forty and eighty.
Today I did another twenty percent change and now it’s between twenty and forty, judging from the color.
My question is. Is a nitrate around forty safe? I’ve always been around twenty before.

Hello Wendy...

Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, so even your readings aren't bad for a short time. An 80 reading would pose a problem if it was to remain this high for several days. But a 20 gallon tank needs at least a 50 percent water change weekly. A week is really pushing the limits of a water change routine. 20 gallons of water really won't dilute the waste material of even a few fish for very long. I'd change half the water every few days. This will keep the water high in oxygen and replace the minerals the fish use and those that are changed simply from going through a filter system so many times.

B

Back
Top Bottom