Nitrate - off the chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwencel24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everyone,

So, I had really high nitrite (I think it was off the chart). I tested my water using api master kit. My tank is still cycling. I think I'm in process 2 of the cycle when the ammonium/ammonia is getting lower and nitrite is increasing. I used biozyme to help the cycling process. I used a little bit more than the dosage. This is really helpful. However, my nitrite is really high. The test result from api test shows some proof. For example, I have dying water wisteria (due to wrong bleach-dip). After a while, my wisteria is booming like crazy!! I mean the leaves were melted and the root were rotten. Now, the leaves are booming and the roots are pooping out everywhere.
My java fern also booming like crazy!! The roots are pooping out - most of the leaves are covered now with roots and black dots which are young roots. My anacharis that had the worst bleach-dip case which have no leaves and most of the stems have rotten are now recovering. My anubias that had minor yellow leaves when I bought from pet store is now have solid green leaves with blooming new leaves as well.
I know nitrite is great for plants but really hurtful for fishes. I tried partial water change. But the ppm didn't change much. I'm doing partial change every other day to control the nitrite. Is there any natural way to prevent the rise of nitrite?

In a cycling tank there are two ways. Lots of fast growing stem plants and floating plants and lots of water changes. If you are having problems keeping it in the safe zone then you need to increase the amount and frequency of the water changes.

Sounds like u have a lot of fish maybe overstocked? Doing large water changes will lower the nitrates min50%

Back
Top Bottom