Nitrate.... Whats good and what is bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, i just finished the 4 basic test on my 75 gallon FW tank...

pH 7.0-7.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
nitrate ? 20-80?

The test i had for nitrate goes from yellow to red, but the color of 20ppm, 40ppm and 80ppm all seem about the same... so i kinda think my tank is somewhere between 20-40ppm. It said that is in normal range, but would 0ppm be the best level? if so how do i reduce some of the nitrate? or is it something i shouldn't really worry about?

If you have live plants, nitrates between 20 and 40 are OK (20 is better). The only way to get them lower that I know of is to do a PWC. Which test kit do you have--strips (not accurate) or liquid (very accurate)?

I assume you have cycled now since you have no ammonia or nitrites. How long has the tank been running?

My 75 gallon tank has been running at the current location for about 9 months, but over all i have had it almost 2 years, so yeah, it is cycled. I'm in the process of taking pictures, but my camera's battery went out.

I also bought a few(10 stalks) plants about 2 weeks ago to see how they do in my tank, but i don't know because i don't have the best lighting. I have 2x15w for a 75gallon which is not even close to being enough, but the plants have grown about 5-7 inches in 2 weeks and have grown some noticeable roots.

also, i have an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kit.

If it makes any difference, i have 5 turquoise rainbows, 3 bosemani rainbows, 2 columbian tetras, 5 juvenile Congo tetras, 2 juvenile krebesis, and a single neon tetra and single juvenile bala shark that were donated.

I seriously think this is why people earmark the 20ppm. Because red looks like red, looks like red, looks like RED! *lol* At least 10ppm is orangish. After that... to be honest, I have no idea which red. It's so close, it's nearly impossible. All I know, is if it's at all red, I do a water change. *lol*

I've heard 20-25 ppm is the number to shoot for normally, but harm doesn't start happening until at least triple that. Some fish such as discus need to be on the lower end, but I'm sure you're fine.

Back
Top Bottom