Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizmunn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 190 l tank added some new fish yesterday noticed one my tetras have died done a water check

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 80ppm
Nitrite 0
Temp 26

Is it normal\ok for nitrates to be that hi after adding new and could have been cause of death?

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

Hi I have a 190 l tank added some new fish yesterday noticed one my tetras have died done a water check

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 80ppm
Nitrite 0
Temp 26

Is it normal\ok for nitrates to be that hi after adding new and could have been cause of death?

Liz

Hello Liz...

The water temp in your tank is a little high, but nothing that should bother your fish. Nitrates are pretty high, but aren't as toxic as other forms of nitrogen like ammonia and nitrite.

The best thing to do is follow an aggressive water change routine. Half the water in your 50 gallon tank (roughly) tank should be changed every week to 2 weeks. This will remove dissolved fish and plant wastes before they can build up to toxic levels.

Change the tank water more often and see if you can get some floating plants into the tank. Anacharis and Hornwort are good water purifiers, that will use those nitrates. Just drop some individual stems into the tank.

B

Thank you

Just no idea why I'm loosing my platys and now tetras

Was the tetra that died one of the new fish that were added? If so, its possible it was sick/weak to begin with. If they were acclimated too quickly, that could be enough to push them over the edge.

If they were existing fish that died, then it could be any number of things. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate aren't the only things that can cause problems. For example, any number of household chemicals can accidentally make there way into the water.

The tetra been in the tank for good 3 weeks and levels are still the same as above n no chemicals could hav got in its only me tht deals with the tank and way out of the way of anything

The high nitrates are suspect in combination with the stress of the move if it is a new fish. If you are following a regular water change schedule then you likely have nitrates in your tap.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check tap water. My tap has nitrates. I use a deionized filter sold at my LFS to reduce them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom