Nitrates are too high.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jag5440

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 gallon tank is cycled but I'm having issues with nitrates. My tap water tests at about 10 ppm. I do the necessary water changes but at best I'm still back at 10 ppm. I don't have many fish yet (6 small hardy fish) but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get levels closer to 0. I don't think there is a good answer but I figured if anybody had the answers it would be you guys.

Fast growing live plants, if they are feasible in your set up, can help. Purigen added to the filter if you have either a cannister or HOB, is supposed to reduce nitrate but I have never used it so can't speak from experience.

Water Chemistry

My 55 gallon tank is cycled but I'm having issues with nitrates. My tap water tests at about 10 ppm. I do the necessary water changes but at best I'm still back at 10 ppm. I don't have many fish yet (6 small hardy fish) but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get levels closer to 0. I don't think there is a good answer but I figured if anybody had the answers it would be you guys.

Hello Jag...

Your nitrate level is fine, even great. Many water keepers would love to have nitrates at the level you have. Nitrate (NO3) is at the end of the "nitrogen cycle" and isn't toxic to fish at low levels.

You just need to keep the water properties stable. Large, weekly water changes will do this and most fish will adapt to most public water supplies anyway. I wouldn't worry about this and just change the tank water on a weekly basis if you can.

I change out large quantities of water every week or so in my planted tanks, so I never worry about the water chemistry.

B

Back
Top Bottom