Nitrates levels very high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physicsdude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi- I have had a twisted knee for 3 weeks, which forced me to not do my regular maintenance if my aquarium. A few days ago, I made it to my room, where I tested the ammonia and nitrate levels, and they were both off the charts. I did a 80% water chang and siphoned the gravel. Since then, the ammonia has dropped considerablly till its near 0, but the nitrate level remains high, dropping only slightly. I cleaned out the my aquaclear filter, which was very dirty, but I did not replace the carbon in there. Also, the temperature of the tank is running around 85 or so due the high humidity and heat lately where I live. Any advice on what to do to lowerr the nitrates? Thanks

All you can do is keep changing water. 50% for a few days in a row should do the trick. Sorry about your knee good to hear you are getting around again. Have you tested you tap for nitrates?

Yes, I did check the tank for dead fish andos. All are alive and well. Fishyfanatic I'm using tetra test kits for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. I consider the nitrite important as the nitrate levels were sooo high, they might start to convert back into nitrite. So far, the nitrite is negligible. Yea, I'll keep doing water changes till it clears out I guess.

Thanks for the good word guys about my knee!

Well, nitrates are under control, but as a consequence of the high nitrate levels, there is a bloom of blue-green alage on my plants. I have tried to pick off the diatoms, but they are very attached the leafs, causing me to rip them while removing the algae. Is there anything I can do to remove the algae from my tank? Thanks!

Blue green algae is actually a bacteria, cyanobacteria. If you can't get control of it by removing it manually, you can try an antibiotic, like Maracyn.

Back
Top Bottom