Nitrification cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermint

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I tested my aquarium water today with the API kit and the ammonia reading puzzled me...it was between yellow and pale green...meaning between 0 and 0.25. Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10

Is it possible to have ammonia and nitrate in a cycled aquarium or am I just reading the ammonia color wrong?

Thanks

Did you tested it right after a water change? The chloramines (disinfectant) in the water is broken down by the dechol to ammonia & chlorine. <Don't worry, both are bound & not toxic.> So freshly treated tap water will show a low level of ammonia <unless you use a SW salicylate test kit>. The ammonia will be gone within a few hours in that case.

It is possible to have both, and as long as the ammonia doesn't continue to rise you'll be fine. Keep an eye on it for a few days to be sure.

Thanks guys! Interesting fact about the chloramine! I did do water change yesterday with 24h old water. I will keep checking.

you cant let water sit and dechlor if you have chloramine rather than chlorine. It does not breakdown on its own, thats why they use it. that could be why you had a die off in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom