Nitrite/Nitrate Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n0v

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Newbie here (semi-new to aquariums.) I am having a proper time keeping my nitrites/nitrates down in my tank, specifically nitrite. This is a planted tank that I set up about two months ago. I didn't add residents until about a week ago- two mystery snails. Water tests were doing fine until a few days in and since then I have been doing water changes every day (30 - 40%) and continuing to add Prime + Quick Start (as directed for water changes.) I have been using UNS All-In-1 plant fertilizer daily and have added an Aqueon Pure ball to see if that helps. There is also a piece of cuttlefish bone in there for the boys. I also changed the filter cartridge today thinking that the old one was looking pretty scuzzy + it's been in there since day 1. I don't want to hurt my snails but I legit can't figure out where I'm going wrong. pH and ammonia seem to be at normal levels. Any help is much appreciated.

Specs:
- 2 months, cycled for 5.5 weeks
- 9g
- aqueon quiet flow filter (m)
- using Prime + Stability (occasionally) + Quick Start
- stock is two mystery snails
- planted & using fertilizer
- feeding shrimp tabs while waiting for algae tabs to arrive
- water changes include gravel vac

Let me know if I'm missing something!

I honestly had nitrite issues until I stopped dosing fertilizer.... maybe try stopping, or atleast cutting back your dosage by alot... and see if that helps?
Honestly, it worked for me. And I only add frets once a week now and everything is still fine and growing!
Best of luck to you!! :)

I honestly had nitrite issues until I stopped dosing fertilizer.... maybe try stopping, or atleast cutting back your dosage by alot... and see if that helps?
Honestly, it worked for me. And I only add frets once a week now and everything is still fine and growing!
Best of luck to you!! :)
Thank you! I will give that a try :)

I agree with cutting out fertilizer completely. You said ammonia was normal. Is that a 0, or is there some ammonia? If cutting the fertilizer doesn’t help, I’d return one of the mystery snails. They are pooping machines and could be the problem in a 9 gallon tank at this point.

I agree with cutting out fertilizer completely. You said ammonia was normal. Is that a 0, or is there some ammonia? If cutting the fertilizer doesn’t help, I’d return one of the mystery snails. They are pooping machines and could be the problem in a 9 gallon tank at this point.
It stays at 0 with a pH of 7. I do have a 6g that I just started to do some plant work; waiting on the filter to be delivered today. I don't know if a 6g is too small for one of them to hang out in while the 9g stabilizes?

Back
Top Bottom