nitrite please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graham john

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone i am new to this site. I have a 90ltr tank which has been running for 3 weeks, i have guppys,mollys ect all my water readings where fine until i introduced a under gravel filter (i have 2 pump filters also) my nitrite level has gone from 0.3mg/l to 3.3mg/l, i have done a 30% water change, i have also changed the mediums in my filters could this be the problem. Please help. Graham:confused:

Welcome to AA! Can you give us more information on your tank? By pump filters, do you mean hang on back filters? Was your tank cycled prior to this? If your ammonia or nitrate levels are above 0, you should try daily PWCs until they go down. What are your ammonia and nitrate levels? Don't change the filter media. Doing so removes the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate.

If your tank was cycled before, installing an undergravel filter could have stirred up debris or trapped debris. I would stay away from UGFs in general, i find them outdated. A nice HOB would work better.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom