nitrite problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megabyte366

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need a little help.

about 4 days ago, my nitrite started to act crazy...
water test
ph 7.2
high range ph 7.4
ammonia 0
nitrite 1.0

I've been doing a 20 - 25% water change daily for the last 4 days, the water test are not changing.. it keeps coming back with high nitrite and it does not seem like the nitrite is going away. I'm not over feeding the fish, they get 6 feeder fish 2x aweek and then 16 little pellets the days they don't get the feeder's. I have a 55 gal tank with 2 oscar's, 1 jack demp, 1 red devil and 1 pleco all the fish except the plec'o is about 2 1/2 to 3" and the plec is about 6".

thanks for any help

The nitrite part of the cycle is the longest. Keep up with what you're doing and give it more time. It usually takes weeks for a tank to cycle.

Kim

~Do you have a nitrate test? If so, what is that value?
~You do not need to feed those fish that often. I feed all my fish every other day and I suggest that to everyone.
~As an aside, you should look into breeding your own feeder fish since feeders from the store are in poor conditions and can bring disease into your tank.

Hey Menagerie, do you feed your fish once every other day or 2 times on the day that you feed them? Hope that made sense...:)

Back
Top Bottom