Nitrite reduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

French

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Made a rookie mistake by heavily populatiing my 50ga aquarium before it cycled.
My ammonia is starting to drop but my nitrite levels are going through the roof. 5PPM plus. and my nitrates are around 20-40. Should I continue daily/semi daily water changes to reduce the nitrite levels?

Hello French...

You can test the water daily and when you have a positive test for either ammonia or nitrite, then do a water change of 25-30 percent. This amount will maintain relatively safe water conditions for the fish and leave a little nitrogen for the growing bacteria. The 50 gallons will go a little ways to dilute the dissolved wastes the fish produce. Hopefully, you have some pretty hardy fish that will tolerate a little less then optimum water conditions for a time.

B

Do not do as isabella says. Constant water changes will only cause the tank to mini cycle and spike higher. Treat your water with Prime, wait 48 hours and then do a 30% water change. Wait 48 hours and then test water to check levels.

If you are super concerned find a place that sells Fritzime active bacteria and buy it if it is refrigerated. Dose accordingly.

In my case I use Nutrafin Cycle, or Seachem Stability when adding new fish, so beneficial bacterias grows faster. I add it directly to the filters bios.

Do water change until you read both 0 ammonia and nitrites.

I would eventually like to keep my tank chemical/additive free. I just looked up the prime, and it looks like a good product. I probably won't be ale to avoid using that because i have some ammonia in my tap water ( along with the regular chlorine etc) and I'll probably replase the aqua safe I've been using with it. I've also had to use tetra ammoniasafe, cycle, waste control. Will using some of these chemicals to treat the water alter the tanks cycle?

That's not a chemical. That's beneficial bacterias supplement.

Don't use Waste Control, it is not a chemical, it is heterotrophics bacterias that converts fish poop into ammonia (not good idea in your situation). You can use it only if you have strong filtration with a lot of BBs.

U must use dechlorinator before you put water in the tank. You cannot replace Seachem Prime by Nutrafin Cycle, you must use them both. The only product I tested and I know it's effiency is Nutrafin Cycle for BBs. I'm trying the product Seachem Stability in a cycled tank, so I can't test it's effiency...

Would you recommend I use Prime and stability now in my un-cycled tank? And should I use stability after the tank has cycled? And just to be sure, stability and cycle are the same type of product?

If its a Seachem product, its worth the money. I have a 220, a 350 in fresh and a 1500 reef. I try to stay chemical free in my freshwater tanks but Prime is a must for freshwater, especially if you dont have access to R O water at a lfs or grocery store.

You can save yourself most of these headaches in the future by buying a Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filter and a container large enough to use as a reserve to let ro run into. A cheap one ($100.00) will make about 20-25 gallons a day.

Will adding too much stability or any other bacteria make my water cloudy?

I put Cycle directly into my filter bio part (ceramic) :
- 1/4 cap the filter's bio after a big WC
- 1/2 - 1 cap after a bio cleaning
- A lot in water and in filters bios when cycling a tank.

In your case I will say 1 capfull once a day in the filter bios for 3 days, and 1 last shot in 1 week.

Will adding too much stability or any other bacteria make my water cloudy?

If your tank is already cycled, adding too much of Cycle won't cloud the water, but cycling process can white cloud the water. If you water cloud while cycling, you don't have any action to take.

If ammonia or nitrites are not zero, you must WC.

I'm using carbon in my C4 and clear fx pro in my fluval 206. Should I remove the clear fx pro?

I'm using carbon in my C4 and clear fx pro in my fluval 206. Should I remove the clear fx pro?

I don't think it will change something... Do you have a powerfull light ? Are you dosing ferts ? If not I will say keep fxpro in place...

Remember to never rinse the ceramic stars into the bio's part of the filter under tap water, as it will kill the heart of the cycle !

Would you recommend I use Prime and stability now in my un-cycled tank? And should I use stability after the tank has cycled? And just to be sure, stability and cycle are the same type of product?

Ya, Cycle and Stability is both the same product.

Back
Top Bottom